Sign in to follow this  
Ken L

FAA CoA

I'm the lead part 107 pilot for a Nevada state agency. I'm filling out the online FAA form for a CoA for this agency to operate under. The form includes a question to delineate the area of flight operations. Since my state agency could be tasked for flight missions almost anywhere in the state and most of the state is G airspace, rather than delineating some geographic areas we might fly in, I'd like to delineate the entire state, minus the airspaces over the air force bases in the south and parts of the ATC airspaces in Reno and Las Vegas. I'd like the community to comment on this. Does anyone know specifically what the FAA is expecting, and, possibly, what they will accept for this answer? 

Ken

I'd be interested in the process you go through to get your COA as well.  We are scanning power substation in California, there are approximately 2500 of them and they're often in close proximity to airports having to apply for waivers one at a time is a deal breaker for the utilities.  

We'd like to be able to accomplish this in out lifetime.

Av8 Chuck & other interested folks. I'm not sure I'm half way thru what I think could end up being a 40-hour effort to complete the form. The process is proving to be quite a hassle, requiring patience and persistence. To be clear, I'm attempting to get a CoA that is good for 2 years, not the temp one that can be accessed from a link on the FAA website. My agency has been advised by the FAA that having a CoA will make it easier to obtain a waiver to fly beyond line of sight, which is our real desire, since all our pilots are part 107.  Two major steps:

1. Getting the FAA to give me the link to the online form. This required submitting a letter of request & getting security access to the FAA website.

2. Filling out the actual form. The form is not instructive and has problems. I've been obliged to spend a number of hours in trail and error, making dead end data entry mistakes, and getting short  email clues from the FAA, after waiting days for the replies. The person filling out the form should be a UAS pilot to handle the technical questions. Regarding my initial post, the form queries the applicant for a geographic depiction of the intended area of operations. I have questions about this.

I've been writing down notes of the specific steps and things I've learned.  My notes are way incomplete at this point. It would not be practical for me to simply post the pages of short hand notes on this forum. If you have specific questions, for which I can give short answers, post them to this topic. I'll see what I can do. Once I've successfully submitted the completed form and received an initial response from the FAA, I'll brief Alan Perlman to see how he wants to get details I've learned out the community.

Ken

One thing I can tell you is that if your agency needs immediate assistance regarding airspace authorizations there is a process for that.  On the other hand, if your requirements are ongoing (as you suggested), then this is going to be a protracted process I suspect.  Obviously, G airspace is open to you and the TFR's are not.  So that leaves the remaining areas.  For that you might consider simply utilizing

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/emergency_approval/

Good luck

Thank you, ED, for  that link. I was asked about the new, expedited, process for emergency waiver by a state manager just last week. If needed, we will apply for an emergency waiver.  Now I'm thinking I should  apply to operate in just the G airspace, statewide, and not include any of the controlled airspaces in my geographic depiction, although we have a need to fly routine missions in those as well. I can always attempt to add the controlled spaces when it comes time to renew the CoA. I note that Reno made the list of LAANCs.

I wish someone could tell me if there is an acreage limit to the operational area I can submit in the form?  I guess I'll have to submit the app and get rejected to find out their limits. Then I can report that to this community.

Does anyone know about an upcoming workshop or conference where the FAA will attend and possibly host a lecture on applying for CoAs or waivers?  Does the FAA have representatives at the InterDrone or other Conference held in Vegas, in the fall?