Hi,

I need help with something. I am getting conflicting information about whether or not I am able to fly a drone in a certain area (I am Part 107 certified.) When I look at the sectional charts and FAA UAS Data map it appears that I cannot fly here, which has been my understanding all along. But when I look at the AirMap (with Part 107 selected) and Kittyhawk, it says I’m good to go. I am attaching screenshots from all of them. The area in question is circled in all 3 screenshots.

Thanks!

01_sectional.jpg

02_airmap.jpg

03_faauas_data.jpg

Hey @Letac, great question.  First off, let's clarify something that many folks misunderstand (not necessarily you).  The UAS Data map from FAA has nothing directly to do with whether you can or can;t fly in a given area.  These maps and their allowable altitudes were created and approved by local FAA facilities personnel as a guide to the folks charged with granting an airspace authorization or, very occasionally, an airspace waiver. So put that aside completely.  You are BELOW SEA Class B airspace as I see it.  It's Class B from FL 100 down to FL 30 and below that it's Class E down to 1200AGL.  Under Part 107, you will be below 400 AGL.  So as I see it, you are good to go.  BUT...........I will admit it's a bit complicated airspace and I suggest we wait for others to chime in here. These are great questions that get many of us thinking. Welcome aboard.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Hey @Letac, great question.  First off, let's clarify something that many folks misunderstand (not necessarily you).  The UAS Data map from FAA has nothing directly to do with whether you can or can;t fly in a given area.  These maps and their allowable altitudes were created and approved by local FAA facilities personnel as a guide to the folks charged with granting an airspace authorization or, very occasionally, an airspace waiver. So put that aside completely.  You are BELOW SEA Class B airspace as I see it.  It's Class B from FL 100 down to FL 30 and below that it's Class E down to 1200AGL.  Under Part 107, you will be below 400 AGL.  So as I see it, you are good to go.  BUT...........I will admit it's a bit complicated airspace and I suggest we wait for others to chime in here. These are great questions that get many of us thinking. Welcome aboard.

Ed, thank you so much for a great response, I really appreciate it. Hopefully, more people will share their thoughts. Cheers!

16 hours ago, Letac said:

Hi,

I need help with something. I am getting conflicting information about whether or not I am able to fly a drone in a certain area (I am Part 107 certified.) When I look at the sectional charts and FAA UAS Data map it appears that I cannot fly here, which has been my understanding all along. But when I look at the AirMap (with Part 107 selected) and Kittyhawk, it says I’m good to go. I am attaching screenshots from all of them. The area in question is circled.

03_faauas_data.jpg

@Letac

For the area you have circled above in green, the main limiter is Class E airspace and that beginning ceiling starts at 700FT AGL to 1200FT AGL. If you go further east you get into Boeing Fields Class D airspace shown on the airspace map below. Your max ceiling is 400FT AGL so you are clear to fly in the area you selected without any airspace authorization required.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, R Martin said:

@Letac

For the area you have circled above in green, the main limiter is Class E airspace and that beginning ceiling starts at 700FT AGL to 1200FT AGL. If you go further east you get into Boeing Fields Class D airspace shown on the airspace map below. Your max ceiling is 400FT AGL so you are clear to fly in the area you selected without any airspace authorization required.

Hi Martin, thanks for clarifying this. I just added a new file with a more precise area of operation, which encompasses a pier where I will be flying from, and where the drone will take off from. Does this keep me in the clear? If I understand this correctly, as long as I do not enter the most NW square, I am good.

Capture_JPG_8ce121ec04ffd26892cb8ef4324ae2eb.jpg

17 minutes ago, Letac said:

Hi Martin, thanks for clarifying this. I just added a new file with a more precise area of operation, which encompasses a pier where I will be flying from, and where the drone will take off from. Does this keep me in the clear? If I understand this correctly, as long as I do not enter the most NW square, I am good.

Unless you stray south of Mercer Street I wouldn't be concerned. If you did, then you should probably start thinking about filing for a CoA because you are running the risk of intruding on Boeing Field's (BFI) Class D. Even that might not be a problem if you fall under an area serviced by LAANC. I'm not familiar with the Seattle area.

Edited by R Martin