How can I help pilots get more work?

Getting a drone pilot marketplace started. 

Just learned about https://droners.io/ and https://air-vid.com/ now owned by PrecisionHawk focused on the US.

Looking for suggestions about starting a drone pilot marketplace.

Where do pilots go to get work? And why there?

What do you like / dislike about the current marketplace?

Would it help to make a blockchain dapp or AI instead of a regular website?

Would partnering to promote schools help get the word out for pilots to signup?

Any advice would be appreciated on getting started.

Edited by drone.entrepreneur
  • 4 months later...

Hello Friend! New to the market But I do think I have a some advice to your topic. 

So, right now our world is in this deep technological mindset. We are not there yet, however virtual profiles are the way of the future. It is your portfolio, It is your proof of who you are and what your intentions are. Every photographer has a photography eye but does it necessarily match the eye of the client ? Not every time, and often people are not sure of what they like these days anyways. (the whole overly opinionated but no sense of identity bs) I think, given the drone market is still so up and coming. Especially now with the release of some hard restrictions that today is the perfect time to start building your profile. Go capture things, post it, build a word of mouth, and then communicate on services you provide with local businesses who may be interested in doing business with you. do # this and that, climb the ladder of success. Start locally with fb pages or w.e then build a website. I strongly suggest Wordpress for practice. It isn't easy to build it like wix or w.e but that is because it wants to give you the most options to build how you want it to  visually be . not template, pre made this and that. It allows you to really learn so the next website you may want to design you will have a better understanding or they hows behind the coding. Hope this of any help to you :) Good day sir!

• 3 months later...

Hi!
You're on the right track. There's a way to cover a bigger market with a blockchain dapp. 
There's a good marketplace for it and the potential hungry buyers from the blockchain culture as well. 
Check the Mobile go ICO review https://www.decrptd.com/coin/mobilego-mgo-cryptocurrency-review-2017/
And aside from the new audience you'll gain a bit more profitable terms with your app than you'd get in other app stores. And you'll be able to accept payments for your app in a cryptocurrency though a bittrex, for example.
Hope it helps. 

I have some questions:

I do not know too much about concurrency technology.  What benefit would there be to do a blockchain dApp?

Do you have programming knowledge? 

On 3/23/2018 at 5:41 PM, drone.entrepreneur said:

Would partnering to promote schools help get the word out for pilots to signup?

Do you mean online classes or actual schools? I am not sure I fully understand this question. If you are referring to marketing, you wouldn't need to partner, but it may help. You can target online ads towards people that look for drone classes or drones stuff in general. Partnering would help to get your ad on the drone class' website rather than just social media and google. Sometimes you can target websites that use google ads, which will allow you to target websites that use google ads. This way you wouldn't need to partner with anyone, and google will just match your ads to the websites that fit your target market.  Let me know if I need to make something more clear.

I think many people get started flying on their own and finding people / or already knowing people in the area that could get work done. This works because a relationship is likely already established, and it is easier to get your foot in the door. These types of jobs can be added to your portfolio to gain trust from someone you may not know, but will want to hire you based on your past projects. 

I have thought of doing this project also. I have not used these types of services yet though.  One thing I noticed is that they do not seem to market very well. Searches have to be specific to show the marketplace website. So just changing the marketing strategy could be enough to be more successful. 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, drone.entrepreneur said:

There is a plethora of drone jobbing sites including the two you mentioned but also Dronebase, Drone Genuity, Drone Hive, Dronevideos.com. I prefer to get work directly from my website but I have found and done work with all of these sites. 

The only one I like is Drone Hive, because they've given me some great longterm projects and pay pretty well. I am not a fan of the rest for two reasons.

1. They follow the Uber business model which allows them to charge low prices and even lower payouts (and many don't take into account, gas mileage)

2. I would almost be ok with it, however in my market (New Orleans), they do not get much work! A couple of the aforementioned companies I haven't seen a job post in months. 

But I hope your company can change that.