Christian Tucci

Post-Production Course Feedback for Improvements

Hi all,

I am planning out some improvements and updates to the Post-Production course and part of that is a consideration for making some new screencast videos on either new topics or going more in depth on a topic already covered.

So, wondering what everyone thinks should be included and hoping at least a few of you have some time to share more in-depth thoughts over email or a phone call. Just let me know, want to make the course something that appeals to even more students if possible.

Best,

Christian

I’m not sure what’s included in it currently so it’s difficult to make suggestions.  Do you have any ideas of what you’d like to add?  If you shared those maybe people who are knowledgeable about post production but haven’t taken the coarse could give you some constructive criticism or new ideas.

To get the best idea of what is in there now, take a look at the curriculum page for the course (link below). It shows each and every lecture if you scroll down some. I don't want to write my exact ideas yet until some fresh feedback comes in because I don't want to steer anyone in a certain direction yet. Want to just hear anything and everything people might want to see.

https://learn.uavcoach.com/p/aerial-cinematography

Christian,

One topic i really want to cover is the data handle files that FCP generated and how to archive documents.

The FCP generated several folders and data 

• Final Cut Optimized Media
  • Final Cut Original Media
  • Named of project 
  • Cache with name of project
  • Final cut library name of project

What files are you gonna really need, in order to do a backup in a external hard drive

On FCP software different between:

• Librarie
  • Events
  • Project 
  • Intelligent collections

Not a full explanation but just i main idea to how to handle your DATA between projects.

Is necessary create a library every project or every project need a library ..?

I know i have some issue to handle the DATA backup i have several hard drives but is alway good is you a find a smart solutions or at least one with good order for a start.

Regards

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 10:34 PM, Carlos Arrieta said:

Christian,

One topic i really want to cover is the data handle files that FCP generated and how to archive documents.

The FCP generated several folders and data 

• Final Cut Optimized Media
  • Final Cut Original Media
  • Named of project 
  • Cache with name of project
  • Final cut library name of project

What files are you gonna really need, in order to do a backup in a external hard drive

On FCP software different between:

• Librarie
  • Events
  • Project 
  • Intelligent collections

Not a full explanation but just i main idea to how to handle your DATA between projects.

Is necessary create a library every project or every project need a library ..?

I know i have some issue to handle the DATA backup i have several hard drives but is alway good is you a find a smart solutions or at least one with good order for a start.

Regards

This is an awesome idea for a course lecture! Thank you, will definitely incorporate that in some way when making more material for the course.

I'd be interested in learning how people pass projects back & forth using proxies in FCPX.  I've done this with PP and the files are super small...great for sharing a project back & forth.  However, FCPX seems to require making the library several GB, despite containing only proxies, which makes sharing across dropbox pretty much a moot point.  Days and days of upload time there.  

At this point, I'm only using editors who use PP, then I use Send to X to convert once they're done.  Royal PITA.

19 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I'd be interested in learning how people pass projects back & forth using proxies in FCPX.  I've done this with PP and the files are super small...great for sharing a project back & forth.  However, FCPX seems to require making the library several GB, despite containing only proxies, which makes sharing across dropbox pretty much a moot point.  Days and days of upload time there.  

At this point, I'm only using editors who use PP, then I use Send to X to convert once they're done.  Royal PITA.

This is a great idea too. I have used FCP X's proxy feature a bunch of times, and know it uses ProRes 422 Proxy files. It sounds like you are looking for it to use an even lower quality format to keep library file size minimal. While you can't dictate which proxy format the built-in feature uses, you may be able to accomplish what you want with the re-linking feature. Not tested yet, but if you use compressor to make ultra low quality versions of your masters, it might let you "re-link" from the menu to those "proxy" files after it can't find the masters anymore.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 3:13 AM, Christian Tucci said:

This is a great idea too. I have used FCP X's proxy feature a bunch of times, and know it uses ProRes 422 Proxy files. It sounds like you are looking for it to use an even lower quality format to keep library file size minimal. While you can't dictate which proxy format the built-in feature uses, you may be able to accomplish what you want with the re-linking feature. Not tested yet, but if you use compressor to make ultra low quality versions of your masters, it might let you "re-link" from the menu to those "proxy" files after it can't find the masters anymore.

Mahalo for the reply Christian!

I'll give this approach a shot and see what I can figure out.  Right now it's ridiculous how large the library is in standard proxy format.  I wish Apple would add a very simple 'choose the size of your proxy' option upon import.  This would solve the issue entirely, by allowing small 720p tiny sized proxies.

You'd be amazed how living on an island, you still need to pass editing back & forth electronically.  

• Like 1