Uaviator53

FAA 333 HOLDER

Greetings all,

FYI. I attended an FAA briefing on 1/16/16 in Chandler, AZ. The FAA presenter(from the UAS integration office) was very confident that the Part 107 commercial operations rules (no manned aircraft pilot license required, written exam for UAS certificate) will likely come on June 2016. I know it's the government and deadlines have come and gone, but for what is worth; there may be light at the end of this tunnel.

• Like 4

That's awesome if it really is true.  We all know how out government works.

Did he mention if we'll still need a 333 exemption for commercial purposes?

thanks for the info....

Great news, indeed! I'm on the verge of getting a pilot's license, and was debating on whether or not to 'wait it out' until the FAA gives us a few other options. Since I don't charge for my footage at this point, I'm not i that big of a rush though. If this really happens in June-ish, then that's practically right around the corner!

That is good news as I did contemplate about starting my pilots training took an introductory flight and decided to wait also. I am just building my library of footage so that when my 333 gets finalized I will be ready to go, and as you said June is not that far away. Any Idea's on the curriculum for the test they will make us all take.??? I have heard rumblings about just some sort of ground knowledge test ??? 

I have heard about the knowledge test as well. But I do not think that June of this year will bring us any good news. Remember, this is the government. We elected to go forth with the 333 and did so last year. We have a docket number, so it should be soon (I hope).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gymrat46 said:

"That's awesome if it really is true.  We all know how out government works.

Did he mention if we'll still need a 333 exemption for commercial purposes?"

The part 107 rules are supposed to replace the 333 process. I too went thru the 333 process and received mine last October. Oh well...

Edited by Uaviator53

Great news, although like everyone else, I'm a little skeptical at this point.  Hopefully (and I state that with a lot of trepidation!), the Government actually is good on their word and comes through.

I too hope this information will pan out to be the way it will work. I am only wanting to use my quad for photos and some video. I'm already a licensed pilot and got into these specifically for the new options of low altitude photos and video, and the options of using the quad is so much nicer, and safer, than attempting the same photos while flying a Cessna. I have been debating about the 333 paperwork since before I got my Yuneec in November. 

I think the current band aid system in place can't sustain the growing industry and will just get bogged down. So the ideas mentioned at the start of this thread sure look good to me!

For now though, I think I'll continue learning the quad and keep watching the events unfold. 

• Like 1

So I am receiving my N number tomorrow or Friday according to the Drone Registration folks.  From there the 333 Exemption process is almost done I hope!!  I also have started to take the King ground school training so I can pass my sport pilot's tests.  I am not sure what everyone means here.  Is the pilot's license going to be dropped in June 2016 or will it be required in June?  It is a little unclear so thanks for your patience!

Marc

After this thread was started, I emailed the FAA UAS integration office regarding the proposed June timeline. My premise was that if you dont have your exemption yet, that filing for an exemption that takes 4 months to receive seems silly if all the existing barriers for operating commercially will change. The office also confirmed the June timeline but offered no comment on the amount of time to get your exemption. 

Here is the link to the proposed rule changes that will take effect in "June" 

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

The biggest changes are the Pilot's license requirement and the 333 Exemption, and being able to operate solely instead of with a spotter. There will also be some sort of aeronautical knowledge test to get your UAS Pilot license.

So many things I want to comment about in this thread!

@Trentos31 - these rules were never meant to "take effect" in June; they were meant to be finalized by the originating government agency, the FAA, and then presented to Congress; for better or for worse, it'll likely be a while longer before new small UAS rules are put into effect and the 333 exemption process no longer holds weight

@mguilbau - for now, the pilot-in-command (whoever is the one operating a small unmanned aerial system under the auspices of a 333 exemption), that person needs to hold a pilot license, sport rating or higher (recreational, private, commercial, etc.)

@Ronk - there are some high-level notes in NPRM 107 about what the aeronautical knowledge exam will look like, but no one knows where the FAA is at when it comes to building the test.

Hope this helps, all!

• Like 3

@George Fitzgerald: You don't need a physical if you have a valid U.S. driver's license. To get a sport license, you'll need to find a local flight school / CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) that can oversee your flight hours. You'll also need to pass a ground school exam.

@David: Saw this article and wholeheartedly agree with the concept.

@Uaviator53: I think so. Will be interesting to see what NPRM 107 looks like when the FAA announces where they're at to Congress in June.

Training should be tailored to the aerodynamic principles associated with flying a drone and not necessarily that of a fixed-wing aircraft, as well as providing comparable private pilot license-level requirement for flying in the national airspace.

• Like 1