Hi everyone,

I am preparing to apply for an airspace authorization that covers a wide area and encompasses 2 airports, SeaTac (B) and Boeing Field (D). This is for a contract that lasts until the end of this year (and hopefully will be renewed.) The facilities where our services may be needed are spread all over the place. Most fall into D airspace (Boeing Field), while the other, largest facility is the SeaTac airport itself (B). 

Since we're talking about a very wide area covering two airports, I am wondering if I can even apply for a single authorization? The client is the same.

I've attached a map. Pink arrows point to airports, while those two areas highlighted in red show the locations of the facilities.

Thanks a lot!

seattle_airspace.jpg

21 minutes ago, Letac said:

Since we're talking about a very wide area covering two airports, I am wondering if I can even apply for a single authorization? The client is the same.

Since you are talking about two separate airports and each has its own Class D airspace? then I would think that you would have to file two separate COAs...one for each. I have never applied for dual access before so I may be wrong. I think you will have better luck being approved if you get very specific about an individual area instead of a blanket approach. Just my thoughts...

Found this link with a quick search. https://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Traveler-Updates/Pages/UAV-Drones.aspx

Edited by R Martin
added link

My opinion only but I would tell you the following.  Airspace authorizations are for one airport only.  Airspace waivers can be for multiple airports.  At the moment airspace waivers are taking a VERY LONG TIME.  Your request for a waiver at SEATAC itself could pose problems for you.  If this is a serious commercial venture, an attorney well versed in the process might be advantageous or at least a consultation could help.

• Like 1

Thank you @R Martin and @Ed O'Grady . Both of you confirmed my fear. I am trying to get more information from the client about what the expectations of their needs are..... As I was typing that last sentence I got a response. Good news! For now, my focus is Boeing Field, not SeaTac. So, I'm about to start writing my first authorization request. Good luck to me! And thanks to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.  I've gotten "authorizations" for both SEA class B and BFI class D.  The FAA used to give them for my specific sites but the last auths I rec'd are now for "wide area", so they finally got smart.  The LAANC will most likely be implemented here in Seattle before your requests.  Just for reference SEA class B took 159 days and BFI took 135 days and the requests were sent in Feb 17' & Aug 17' respectively.