I have a client who owns a solar company. They have asked me to provide drone services to estimate the installation of solar panels for approximately $100 to $150   at each property location. Normally estimators don't charge for estimating. Some are paid up to $100 to get up on the roof and produce a hand measured estimate.

The problem I'm having is finding a software/service that will allow me to produce aerial photograph measured estimates at an affordable rate per job site. Currently, I'm only finding software's with service contracts that cost approximately $100 per job site leaving me with next to no profit margin.  

My question is simple, "Are there any other alternative software/service solutions available out there at a cost effective rate that I can use and still make a profit with this client?   

• 3 weeks later...

I know this was posted quite awhile ago but have you checked out www.precisionmapper.com?  I'm trying to check on the same thing and I know that they have algorithms for a roof report.  They offer a free membership limited to 60 scans a year but it might be worthwhile to look into.

That payment structure plus your travel, insurance, etc. definitely is not fair to you.  You're in that classic dilemma that currently exists in the drone world.  They need to be educated!  Seriously, they need to be made aware of the benefit and service you provide and presumably, the cost savings they will realize.  A small wooden baseball bat will often awaken them!

The real challenge Ed is our town and the financial challenges we are faced with here. Lake Havasu City is a wonderful place that offers an amazing lifestyle. unfortunately along with that are low wages and an Arizona mentality that doesn't allow for common metro business expenses. We are ten years behind here on many levels and business owners won't budge. That being said, if i could simply find an affordable software solution i could begin the process of offering the service and allow it to grow in the community as a much needed option.

I understand the problem.  The software suggestions will have to come from others here on the forum.  It's just not an area that I am well versed on - but good luck to you.  Just came from dinner where we were discussing a very similar theme.  Folks just don't want to pay!