Steps on how to start a drone agriculture service business.

Hello, I'm a new drone hobbyist looking to hone my skills and then start a drone service business. I'm interested in starting an agricultural precision drone service business in my country. I want you to put me through on the steps I need to take. I also need information on the type of drones that will be most effective for assessing crop health. Considering my capital, I need information on affordable drones and other materials that will be most effective for the job. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

First off congrats on the first steps of entrepreneurship...information seeking.  I have a very small precision ag business that I do on the side.  This is my second year and still trying to grow the client list.  

I'd ask what are your main crops, do you have any agronomy background?  If you don't can you partner with one?  What size of fields will you be covering?  Are the farmers in your area interested on precision agriculture?  Are they willing to fork out the cash, because you need more than just aerial coverage for precision agriculture, but also soil samples which adds up really quick.  Have you interviewed any prospective clients to see if they would be interested?  Do you have enough starting capital for drone, camera, software, replacement parts, insurance, ***extra batteries!!***

For equipment I own the Matrice 100 with the Slantrange multispectral camera.  I have the 2p which works well, but they released a new 3p this year which looks to have some definite advantages. 

I am looking into a fixed wing now either VTOL (vertical take off and landing) or hand launch and belly landing.  (Waiting on contract first though).   

Probably the place to start, at least it should be the place that provides the most valuable advice would be with the farmers you hope to serve.  The real issue is not the drone but what information farmers need and are willing to pay for.

The answer to that question will help determine which sensor you need and in turn answer what drone you need to fly it.  

5 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Probably the place to start, at least it should be the place that provides the most valuable advice would be with the farmers you hope to serve.  The real issue is not the drone but what information farmers need and are willing to pay for.

The answer to that question will help determine which sensor you need and in turn answer what drone you need to fly it.  

Thanks a lot. Great advice.

6 hours ago, Juggernaught said:

First off congrats on the first steps of entrepreneurship...information seeking.  I have a very small precision ag business that I do on the side.  This is my second year and still trying to grow the client list.  

I'd ask what are your main crops, do you have any agronomy background?  If you don't can you partner with one?  What size of fields will you be covering?  Are the farmers in your area interested on precision agriculture?  Are they willing to fork out the cash, because you need more than just aerial coverage for precision agriculture, but also soil samples which adds up really quick.  Have you interviewed any prospective clients to see if they would be interested?  Do you have enough starting capital for drone, camera, software, replacement parts, insurance, ***extra batteries!!***

For equipment I own the Matrice 100 with the Slantrange multispectral camera.  I have the 2p which works well, but they released a new 3p this year which looks to have some definite advantages. 

I am looking into a fixed wing now either VTOL (vertical take off and landing) or hand launch and belly landing.  (Waiting on contract first though).   

Thanks for your response.