Sparkles

Need advice on drone insurance

Hi everyone, I recently got a DJI Mavic Air which I'm planning to bring with me when I travel. Can I get some advice on how drone insurance works, whether or not insurance policies have international coverage, and how much can I expect to be paying annually as a hobbyist? I'm not using the drone for commercial purposes, purely just to take nice photos and videos during my travels. Do I even need drone insurance? Will I get arrested/fined by foreign countries if I don't have drone insurance?? Also, if anyone has any recommendations for a good insurance company, please feel free to share the info with me too. I'm very new to this and would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Since your interest in insurance is for non-commercial use, one low cost option might be the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).  Membership is around $75 per year (don't quote me on that!) and includes liability insurance with coverage up to 2.5 million.  I took a quick look at their website and overview of the coverage but I don't know if it provides international coverage.  Some countries require it.

• Like 1

@Sparkles - I agree with Perlman on this one. Not many strictly hobbyist pilots get insurance. However, it can be done. If you would like to learn more about UAS insurance, I have compiled some content below. I am also a contributor to the insurance link that Perlman provided above. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I am very well versed on this subject.

Drone U Podcast Interview

Drone Insurance for Commercial Operations: Demystifying Your Coverage Options - This is a condensed version of the article that appeared in RotorDrone Magazine.

How to Insure a UAV - Washington State Unmanned Aviation Technology Coalition
UAV Coach Content - A Step-by-Step Guide to Liability and Drone Hull Insurance - I contributed only part of this content.

Done Insurance 101 Facebook Group

How to Insure a UAV - Center of Excellence Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing - This content is very similar to the Washington State Unmanned Aviation Technology Coalition whitepaper above.

Do you think that you have learned enough to request a commercial UAV insurance quote? If so, please follow the link below in order to request a free quote. Most commercial operators can request, receive, bind, and pay for the quote within 10-15 minutes.

Get a Free Commercial UAS Insurance Quote Now!