What would you suggest to contact FAA about Waiver request?

Kirk

I’ve got 3 Airspace Wavier request that are 9 mouths old. I tried sending an email to ask about the status. Got an auto response that they recieved my email. But no one responded. That was weeks ago. What would you guys suggest I do to contact a live person for help? The UAS help line is only for technical issues.

Airspace waivers are taking a VERY long time at the moment. For all practical purposes, there really is no one that you can call. Depending on the airspace in question and the extent to which you have provided mitigating measures, you may eventually get a decision but it may not be what you want. On the other hand, you may never hear from them.  In the private sector, a lot of these folks would get fired.

Even though the FAA created Part107 there are two parts to the ruling (so to speak), the first part was developing it through the NPRM process, the second part is that 107 does not prevent certified operators from doing their job.  

Because the FAA did not create a process that enables operators to do their jobs in a reasonable amount of time, Part 107 doesn't really exists.

Have to agree.  It's unfortunate that the FAA seems willing to throw itself under the bus in this manner, but the proof is in what they are doing....or rather what they are not doing actually.  I can't even get an email response from uashelp other than the automated response that the email was received. 

Hey @Kirk, I'd forget the Airspace Waivers.

You can either apply for Airspace Authorization (which I have a hard time recommending based on existing wait times, even though the application only takes 20 minutes to fill out), or wait for LAANC to roll out this summer.

I applied for Nashville (BNA) Class C authorization in early January through the FAA's new and sleek FAADroneZone portal, and I'm still waiting 80+ days later, with no communication whatsoever in my account other than "pending review." LAANC is set to roll out in Nashville this July. Based on how the FAA handled 333 exemption requests that came in close to Part 107 rolling out around this time in 2016, I don't expect to hear anything regarding my application and plan to apply through LAANC this summer.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:32 PM, Dave Pitman said:

Have to agree.  It's unfortunate that the FAA seems willing to throw itself under the bus in this manner, but the proof is in what they are doing....or rather what they are not doing actually.  I can't even get an email response from uashelp other than the automated response that the email was received. 

I got an email response to the uashelp @faa.gov email I sent over 1 month ago.  In my email I asked for the official email address or dept. phone number of an FAA employee as I could not find it on the FAA's official website that lists this info. I also asked for a supervisor contact for that dept.

The response said that they were unwilling to provide the contact info. or a supervisor.  In other words, they showed me the door.  

In case you were wondering,  this was in regard to a waiver request.  Not the schematic for the latest fighter jet.

Edited by Dave Pitman

Part107 is in jeapordy of becoming this generations 8-track player.  It is lanquishing and companies such as AirMap, SkyWatch and others who have a financial interest in 107 are doing all they can to prop up  the FAA and initiatives like LAANC.  

LAANC is great in theory; poor in execution and it’s not the answer to the long wait times for waivers, it just one of the many tools that need to be developed.  It’s not that I’m against it it’s just that it is taking too long and will accomplish too little. In the mean time without access a lot of people who believed in the potential of the commercial market will fail and the FAA will not be held accountable.

they have completely politicized this market to cover their butts so they can tell Congress their doing something and if commercial operators fail, it’s not their fault.