Olive Sauder

Thoughts on the DJI Spark

Hi My name is olive,

I'm am getting into drones but am more of a robotics person. Wondering what you guys think of the Spark because I'm looking into getting one. I have a crappy drone right now so I could get better at flying.

-olive

Welcome to the forum.  Depends on what you want to accomplish.  If you just want to enjoy flying then the SPARK can meet that requirement.  If you want to explore and develop a better understanding of autonomous flight then something other than DJI is a better choice.  If it needs to be geared towards a beginner then a good compromise is the MAVIC Air.  

Just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.  

6 hours ago, Olive Sauder said:

I'm am getting into drones but am more of a robotics person

You might not save that much money compared to buying a ready to fly UAV but if your into robotics have you considered building your own?

Well I'm only in middle school, on a robotics team there, and have been looking into making one but I don't know much about the software. I can 3D print but don't know really anything about circuit boards. have you built your own?

1 hour ago, Olive Sauder said:

Well I'm only in middle school, on a robotics team there, and have been looking into making one but I don't know much about the software. I can 3D print but don't know really anything about circuit boards. have you built your own?

Yes, I build my own. I use the ardupilot open source software. Its free and there is a great community.

http://ardupilot.org 

The original hardware for the flight controller was based on the Arduino processor, hence the "ardu" in the name. That processor was 8 bit and the software has evolved so much that later versions require 32 bit hardware. Your robotics team might be interested in this as it not only supports multi-rotors but also fixed wing planes, boats and ground vehicles. Check out the above link and let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Spitfire76

Robotics teams/clubs are a great place to learn to build drones.  Some of the robotics teams in our neck of the woods are starting to include drones in their classes because they don't cost as much as building more traditional robots.

We support several middle and high school STEM education programs.  The young man in these videos started out in a robotics club and I hired him right after he graduated.  He's been working with us for three years and has designed some great drones.  Very few of the parts on the drones we manufacture are 3D printed.  We're looking into 3D printing metal parts but that's a whole other level.

Here's one of the High School STEM classes:

Here's Conner maidening one of the drones he helped design:

Hang in there.  There's a lot of future potential in Robotics and drones.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Olive Sauder said:

Thanks so much did you 3-D print the main body?

-olive

No, I found that the main body or frame one of the cheaper components to buy off the shelf. This is the frame that I started out with and at the time it was around $16 but looks like its now $22 but still good value. The good thing about this frame is that all the parts can be purchased individually also at a reasonable price so if you do crash or rather when you crash its economical and easy to repair. The main components that typically break are the landing gear legs and propellers so its good to buy some spares up front.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/s500-glass-fiber-quadcopter-frame-480mm-integrated-pcb-version.html

I would say that if you were in a photography club and want to get into aerial photography the DJI spark maybe a good buy but since your are in a robotics club it would make sense to try to build one yourselves. 

Edited by Spitfire76

3 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

I would say that if you were in a photography club and want to get into aerial photography the DJI spark maybe a good buy but since your are in a robotics club it would make sense to try to build one yourselves. 

It’s interestimg how we perceive things differently.  With all the automatic features on cameras today if all you want to do is take cool snapshots then put a crappy camera on a toy drone and point it at something cool.  If you want to take interesting photographs, become a more interesting person.  

You become more interesting when you take the time to learn a craft and expand your skills.  Any idiot can buy a drone and push a button.  

Easy to take in hand, playful, delivering a largely exploitable image quality.   STRONG POINTS  - Dimensions. - Finish. - Many flight modes. - PalmControl. - Overall picture quality in photo and video. - Obstacle detection. - QuickShot mode relevant.  WEAK POINTS - No 4K video. - Distance of the video return too short. - No USB charging type-C. - Autonomy too weak. - Few image settings.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip