Luke

Flyaway problems

Hi, my name is Luke Dietz. I am a certified drone pilot. I've had some problems with flyaways. I had two drones flyaway in my area Just down the road from my house. I don't have any problems at my house, but when I drive down the road just one mile The drones freak out. The first one was my YUNEEC Typhoon H which was greatly damaged. The second one was a Holy Stone GPS amazon drone, I was able to recover from the flyaways. Does anyone have advice or comments on flyaways and if they can be avoided. It would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There are a few power lines but they are small.

It in a small canyon only 150ft wide with a river at the bottom

The house at the top has Wifi but so does my house.

Luke Dietz,

15 hours ago, Luke said:

Were you trying to fly in the canyon? In order for GPS to work properly you need a minimum of 4 GPS satellites in line-of-sight. Note the word minimum. We don't collect unless we are locked on at least 6. The more satellites you can see the more accurate the signal/position. That could be part of the problem.

Normally, if you lose your GPS signal then the aircraft "should" go into a neutral state; ie., hold position awaiting your input. The fact that yours has not would suggest that there is another issue with the area you are attempting to fly in. Best advise until you figure it out; don't fly there.

Edited by R Martin
grsmmer; can't spall

It kind of depends on how you define “flyaway.”  

Transient magnetic disturbances can cause loss of communication and induce heading errors, both can trigger your drones failsafe. How you have your failsafe set will determine whether the drone “fly’s away.”  

If it entered failsafe because of an issue with GPS and failsafe is set to RTH then it doesn’t know where home is and just flys in an arbitrary direction.  You think it’s flying away, it thinks it headed home and your both wrong...  

We set our failsafe to hover in place.  If it’s a GPS issue it will not hold position well, depending on wind, but more often than not we Still have good communications and can takeover control of the drone in a different flight mode and fly it back.  If it went into failsafe because of loss of communication it will hold position and we can move closer to the drone to reestablish comms or log into it with a computer and tell it to land.  

36 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

We set our failsafe to hover in place.  If it’s a GPS issue it will not hold position well, depending on wind, but more often than not we Still have good communications and can takeover control of the drone in a different flight mode and fly it back.  If it went into failsafe because of loss of communication it will hold position and we can move closer to the drone to reestablish comms or log into it with a computer and tell it to land.  

Ditto. It has happened a couple of time to us and the UAS went into a hover until we switched modes and regained control over flight functions and landed.

Yes I got the YUNEEC back and it's in Their repair department right now. Both drone asked for me to calibrate them on site and i did but that was probably a mistake. I'm not sure how to set a RTH on my YUNEEC but i'm sure I can find something online.

I was flying in the canyon and The controller said I was connected to 13 satellites. but even when wasn't flying in the canyon it still would act up on me. I lost the YUNEEC flying 50ft above the canyon. At the last moment in the flyaway I turned on RTH and the avoidance system. 

Thank you everyone it's a big help.

You can never avoid flyways my friend. Cause you can never predict what will happen. My only advice for you is to always be alertly ready.  

35 minutes ago, Eric Morgan said:

You can never avoid flyways my friend. Cause you can never predict what will happen. My only advice for you is to always be alertly ready.  

That’s not really true anymore.  We haven’t had a “flyaway” in more than three years and we put drones directly in front of microwave and cell towers, over 640KV substations, fly to and from large and small ships etc.. 

you cant take a DJI off the hood of a car without getting a compass error.  

On 4/28/2018 at 2:10 AM, Luke said:

Yes I got the YUNEEC back and it's in Their repair department right now. Both drone asked for me to calibrate them on site and i did but that was probably a mistake. I'm not sure how to set a RTH on my YUNEEC but i'm sure I can find something online.

I was flying in the canyon and The controller said I was connected to 13 satellites. but even when wasn't flying in the canyon it still would act up on me. I lost the YUNEEC flying 50ft above the canyon. At the last moment in the flyaway I turned on RTH and the avoidance system. 

Thank you everyone it's a big help.

Good thing you have them repaired. Was is just small scratches?

No, The drone Crashed into a bush at 50mph. The gimbal was all screwed up, broken rotors and the arms were lose or wouldn't click into place. Av8Chuck, What kind of drone are you flying? Is it one you build or is it a stock drone off of the shelf.

Luke Dietz,

23 hours ago, Eric Morgan said:

that's not nearly true. You can avoid flyaways if you don't fly your drone... lol 

14 hours ago, ryanolivas said:

that's not nearly true. You can avoid flyaways if you don't fly your drone... lol 

Well That's no fun.

23 hours ago, ryanolivas said:

Yeah right haha. The most brilliant answer to avoid flyaways ?

On 4/27/2018 at 4:45 AM, Luke said:

Hi, my name is Luke Dietz. I am a certified drone pilot. I've had some problems with flyaways. I had two drones flyaway in my area Just down the road from my house. I don't have any problems at my house, but when I drive down the road just one mile The drones freak out. The first one was my YUNEEC Typhoon H which was greatly damaged. The second one was a Holy Stone GPS amazon drone, I was able to recover from the flyaways. Does anyone have advice or comments on flyaways and if they can be avoided. It would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There are a few power lines but they are small.

The house at the top has Wifi but so does my house.

Luke Dietz,

I'm no expert but maybe it is caused by the power lines? That may interfere your flight. Do your drone have logs that you can view?

I've researched The Powerline thing. It has to have TONS of volts going through it. They say you have to fly within 50ft Of a active power plant or one of those giant power distributors.                        The remote has a flight log you can view. it tells you everything about you controller and the flight.

Luke Dietz,

On 5/2/2018 at 3:18 AM, Luke said:

Well That's no fun.

JK. There are lots of ways to prevent flyaways. 

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I've researched The Powerline thing. It has to have TONS of volts going through it. They say you have to fly within 50ft Of a active power plant or one of those giant power distributors.                        The remote has a flight log you can view. it tells you everything about you controller and the flight.

Luke Dietz,

Yep and they might be the cause of interference. Much worse if the drone came by through the bigger lines, chances are they'd be vacuumed and magnetized by those lines

21 hours ago, Lauren Holloway said:

Yep and they might be the cause of interference. Much worse if the drone came by through the bigger lines, chances are they'd be vacuumed and magnetized by those lines

that sounds unfortunate... if that happens, no more recovery. your drone will be gone for good.