Another new member

New member here;  greetings from AZ!  I'm a new member and quite new to UAVs, though I have already earned my part 107 certification. 

I have a background in both techie stuff (building instruments and programming them) , and in environmental science working with satellite imagery.   Given that background and my interests, I'm hopeful about working in precision agriculture with UAVs.  Failing that, they are buckets of fun!   And the photography applications intrigue me.   I'll be looking for general advice and 'what's new' in the industry by being here. 

Thanks for having this forum!

Darshana

PS - by way of explanation,

"It's a gift; it's like there's a moment in which the thing is ready to let you see it. In India, this is called darshan. Darshan means getting a view, and if the clouds blow away, as they did once for me, and you get a view of the Himalayas from the foothills, an Indian person would say, 'Ah, the Himalayas are giving you their darshana'; they're letting you have their view. "  -- Gary Snyder

• Like 1

Welcome @Darshana to this forum. From following the industry for a few years now it seems that the adoption of UAVs in agriculture has had a much slower start than was first predicated. That being said it looks like use cases other than aerial imaginary are started to be realized. I recently attended the http://susbexpo.com in San Francisco and was impressed by the presentation and demo from this company.

http://dropcopter.com

I had no idea that the bee population is declining and so posing a serious threat to global agriculture. To address this issue Dropcopter is pioneering the use of drone to provide aerial pollination.

• Like 1

@Spitfire - thank you for the welcome!  Yes, the ag. industry IS indeed picking up more slowly than anticipated; I've noticed, but I'm still hopeful it will pick up. 

As for the bees - I knew about the drastically declining population, but not the use of drones to pollinate - fascinating.  I'll have to look Dropcopter up - thanks for the info and link.