I am preparing to file my first NOTAM at www.1800wxbrief.com. I have received my FAA Authorization to fly in a Class B area for a job and will be filing NOTAMS prior to every flight so need to get this correct. 

One thing is not clear.  One of the first things required is my "Aircraft ID or Registration Number" or as they describe it: "A name you assign to the UOA."

In searching UAV Coach site, it says: "Every aircraft registered to operate in the United States has a unique ID that begins with the letter N."

The UAV (Phantom 4 Pro) registration card I have for my drone does not have any number that begins with a "N" .

So is this Aircraft ID something I just create myself? Or am I missing something here?

File through the FAA site instead.

https://notams.aim.faa.gov/en2/

You will have to register and be approved before you can begin filing. Filing through the EN 2 site does not required a registration number and to answer your questions an 'N' number is not something you create yourself. The FAA assigns the number to an aircraft when it is registered. You can obtain an 'N' registration number through a paperwork only process. The online process is a lot simpler for UAS applications.

17 minutes ago, R Martin said:

The FAA assigns the number to an aircraft when it is registered.

So this is a different registration than the "Small UAS Certificate of Registration" I did  and received a card for?

10 minutes ago, Fotomon said:

So this is a different registration than the "Small UAS Certificate of Registration" I did  and received a card for?

An 'N' number is geared more towards general aviation and is a permanent number that follows the aircraft it was issued to for life. If the aircraft is sold you have to transfer the registration number to the new owner. The 'FA' number is issued to UAS' and is not permanent. It needs to be renewed every three years (or at least mine does). I don't know if the same number will be reissued or if you are assigned a new number.

So this goes back to my original question if I were to use the www.1800wxbrief website to file a NOTAM for using my sUAV. They have a specific area for UAV’s and looks simple enough. What “ID” should be put there? 

I’ll look at the NOTAM website you gave and may use, but what is everyone else using as an “ID” on the other one? Still unclear what is proper there. 

16 minutes ago, Fotomon said:

So this goes back to my original question if I were to use the www.1800wxbrief website to file a NOTAM for using my sUAV. They have a specific area for UAV’s and looks simple enough. What “ID” should be put there? 

I’ll look at the NOTAM website you gave and may use, but what is everyone else using as an “ID” on the other one? Still unclear what is proper there. 

Again, if you don't have an 'N' number don't fill it in. That is why I directed you to the EN2 site. It does not require a registration number to complete a NOTAM.

Thanks R Martin. I appreciate your help and did register and look at the EN2 interface for creating a NOTAM. 

You must be a pilot or use to submitting to this site but in my opinion, that interface is not very intuitive. The 1800wxbrief area for UAS submissions is much more straight forward except for the one question I have.

Ive decided to reach out to the FlightService people by email to have them answer. Spoke with someone first and they suggested I submit my question by email. The person I spoke with couldn’t answer off hand. Awaiting an answer and I’ll post should someone else ask. 

1 hour ago, Fotomon said:

Thanks R Martin. I appreciate your help and did register and look at the EN2 interface for creating a NOTAM. 

You must be a pilot or use to submitting to this site but in my opinion, that interface is not very intuitive. The 1800wxbrief area for UAS submissions is much more straight forward except for the one question I have.

Ive decided to reach out to the FlightService people by email to have them answer. Spoke with someone first and they suggested I submit my question by email. The person I spoke with couldn’t answer off hand. Awaiting an answer and I’ll post should someone else ask. 

The reason I use ENII is that some sites were not talking to all sites when I started. The Lockheed (1800wxbrief) was one of them. ENII sends the info out to everyone. If you look at the examples (there are a lot of them in the help menu) you can easily figure it out. Enter everything in all caps.

ex: UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 0.2NM RADIUS OF 331210N0970917W (2.2NM E OF DTO) SFC-150FT AGL 1804261800-1804262100

translation UAS within and area defined as 0.2 nautical mile radius of 33°12'10" N 097°09'17" W (2.2 nautical miles east of KDTO) from the surface to 150 feet above ground level from 26 April 18 1800Z to 20 April 18 2100ZCapture.thumb.JPG.4152977943732baf531e6a536e078fd3.JPG

11 hours ago, Fotomon said:

I am preparing to file my first NOTAM at www.1800wxbrief.com. I have received my FAA Authorization to fly in a Class B area for a job and will be filing NOTAMS prior to every flight so need to get this correct. 

One thing is not clear.  One of the first things required is my "Aircraft ID or Registration Number" or as they describe it: "A name you assign to the UOA."

In searching UAV Coach site, it says: "Every aircraft registered to operate in the United States has a unique ID that begins with the letter N."

The UAV (Phantom 4 Pro) registration card I have for my drone does not have any number that begins with a "N" .

So is this Aircraft ID something I just create myself? Or am I missing something here?

All commercial uavs must be registered with the FAA.  In the early days that involved applying for an "N" number.  Now you use the web portal to register your commercial use uavs.  The hobbyist registration is irrelevant and not what they want if that is what you are referring to.  Each individual uav must have it's own #. It will not be an "N" number, but something like  FA37LPxxxx

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/

Edited by Dave Pitman

I realized I had not posted what I found out by contacting the Leidos Flight Service National Support Center. I believe their response could help others should they have the same questions I had. I have since filed several NOTAMS using the www.1800wxbrief.com site and its worked out great.

Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting the Flight Service National Support Center. The issue you were having has been examined by our engineering team and they have sent the following response;.

You can use anything as long as it follows the below format:

A name you assign to the UOA.
Example: 2330012013, MYFLYER, UOA01

Format: 8-10 alphanumerics, or 1 letter followed by 1-6 alphanumerics

Regarding the N#:  When you register your drone to fly under Part 107, you have 2 options:

• the usual computer route that almost everyone uses--this is under Part 48, or
  • as manned aircraft do, you can do a paper registration under Part 47 for an N# which has to be posted on the outside of your drone. There are 2 reasons why you  might go this route:
    • if you are flying under Exemption 333, this is the required method of registration.
    • If you want to fly internationally, your Part 48 registration does not work--you need a N#.

I hope I've got this right.

1 hour ago, joneden said:

Regarding the N#:  When you register your drone to fly under Part 107, you have 2 options:

• the usual computer route that almost everyone uses--this is under Part 48, or
  • as manned aircraft do, you can do a paper registration under Part 47 for an N# which has to be posted on the outside of your drone. There are 2 reasons why you  might go this route:
    • if you are flying under Exemption 333, this is the required method of registration.
    • If you want to fly internationally, your Part 48 registration does not work--you need a N#.

I hope I've got this right.

Unless you are associated with government or flying under a 333, the preferred method is via the web portal. The problems in transferring or retiring the airframe or far more than its worth.

I agree except, and this is from the site where you do the computer registration: 

You must use the paper (N-number) registration process if

• Your unmanned aircraft is 55 pounds or greater
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States
  • You hold title to an aircraft in trust
  • The small unmanned aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements