John Graybeal

Commercial Operations Section

Any thoughts on having a specific section devoted to commercial operations. I would like to share and get help with:

Insurance

Contracts

Equipment reviews

Issues encountered while in the field working

And I sure other areas as they crop up

• Like 1

Good idea. We'll be discussing contracts / working with clients in an upcoming course:

http://learn.uavcoach.com/courses/start-drone-business-plan

In the meantime, feel free to post individual questions here in the Pilot Lounge.

When it comes to insurance, here's a free guide you might find helpful: http://uavcoach.com/drone-insurance-guide

Ok, so a small update here for insurance:

I actually got a reply from Carson Lyons, Who is the VP of Aerospace at AIG! He was kind enough to inform me as to the process. AIG and most of the larger insurers do not service customers directly for aeronautical insurance. Instead, they prefer to have you and your company go through an insurance broker. This may seem like a more lengthy process than necessary, however, as Mr. Lyon's was kind enough to point out this actually benefits the consumer as they will be presented with a variety of coverage options that are tailored to their specific needs and coverage/liability protections. This way you will not pay through the nose for coverage that you never need.

His suggestion is to search for "Aviation Insurance Agency in your state or major metro region," or "commercial insurance agents" in your area. This brought several up for me and i have reached out to a few and got a response in less than an hour. Not a quote as i didn,t prepare all the information yet (drone S/N) but quick contact and request for more info to get a quote. The one i contacted was AVION insurance, though i am in MA and cannot truly recommend any company as of yet.

If this is truly a vision or necessity for you i would wholeheartedly recommend The courses Alan and UAVCOACH offer. As a professional educator i recognize great teaching and instruction, and Alan and his team have worked tirelessly to be able to provide high quality professional development for the drone world!

• Like 1

So after reaching out to some insurance brokers I have found one that for a phantom 3 offers a 1 million commercial liability for around 1000, with a 2 million option for only 1400. This is much lower than I had thought. .. in fact this is much lower than my car insurance... MA! They go through 18 policy companies, under writers, to find the best deal with the correct coverage. Hope this helps with a ball park figure as what you do with the drone, your experience and other factors will apply.

• Like 2

@RemotelyPossible I went with Transport Risk Management for my quotes. I found them through my LinkedIn account. Adam Johnson was the broker. He presented 5 different quotes for me in a very professional package and Global Aerospace was the best based upon price (below $1000) and the different coverages (only one that covered indoor flying). I went with them but to caveat I did not get hull coverage. Peace

• Like 2

@flyingmonkey I ended up going with Global Aerospace too. The local brokker in my area was super helpful and they offered the best prices too. I got the hull coverage and in total it was $1015 for $1,000,000 in liability coverage plus hull damage. It is nice to get that hurdle out of the way. I just got appproved for my LLC in Illinois.  Only a few more hoops to jump through then I can be on my way with subcontracting for another company that has their 333 Exemption. 

Chris 

• Like 2