If only I had done the simulator first

NickStan

If you can't laugh when things go terribly wrong, you may have a bad attitude.  Best is to change the attitude.
Anyway, I wish I woulda.  Famous last words.   I wish I would have practiced with the simulator before I crashed the drone from the treetop.  A word to the wise.

This video is an attempt at humor and a successful attempt at a comeback.

https://youtu.be/oMGqkQ-oksg

Stan

Edited by NickStan

The problem is that I actually did practice with a cheap drone.  I had a Syma X5C for two years, and was able to maneuver it around inside my home as well as outside.  But, it was somehow a whole different ball game between a quadcopter and a hexacopter, which was many times more powerful and had more to think about in terms of speed and controls.  The Syma did not have Angle and Smart mode. The Syma X5C gave me too much confidence, and I thought that I didn't have all that much to learn.  After all, I had used it for two years.  One other thing I didn't do was to read the instructions carefully--letter by letter.  I had no idea about calibrating the Yuneec until way too late.  For Syma it was very simple.  You didn't have to twirl the Syma like a baton to calibrate it.  Calibrating the Yuneec is not difficult, it just has to be done to make sure it doesn't do funny things when it is high up. 

More advice.  READ the INSTRUCTIONS.  Carefully.  Follow them for whatever drone you are using. 

Respect your drone.

Stan

Edited by NickStan

One more thing.  I should reiterate that I needed to do the simulator.  It is very cost effective at about $40 and lets one practice with the real ST16 controller that comes with the Yuneec.  It's not the snazziest software in the world and leaves a lot to be desired, but it does allow for some excellent first-hand experience in flying the Yuneec.  More than anything else, the simulator gave me the best hands-on experience that I should have had before crashing the costly Yuneec. 

I've read about and seen a bunch of videos about crashes with various models of Yuneec.  Most of them blame the manufacturer for defects.  I would blame myself.  The Yuneec drone flies like a dream in comparison with a cheap drone, but the pilot needs to know their own limitations before they blame the manufacturer. 

I'll never say I won't have another crash, but the one I did have was my problem not the drone's problem.

18 hours ago, NickStan said:

I had no idea about calibrating the Yuneec until way too late

Yep, calibration is important, particularly the compass where you have to rotate the drone through all axis and of course would have not been needed on smaller cheaper drones that don't have a compass.

18 hours ago, NickStan said:

One more thing.  I should reiterate that I needed to do the simulator.  It is very cost effective at about $40 and lets one practice with the real ST16 controller that comes with the Yuneec.

Simulators are great especially if you can use the same controller. I am learning to also fly fixed wing aircraft which are much harder to fly than drones, especially the landing and after a few crashes I started practicing on Aerofly RC 7 mainly because its one of the few that run natively on a Apple Mac.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...