Spitfire76

UAS Integration Pilot Program

So much to digest from this. Thanks for posting here and getting the discussion going.

Huge day for the industry.

2 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

So much to digest from this. Thanks for posting here and getting the discussion going.

Huge day for the industry.

The video starts 22 mins in as initially when it posted the presentation did not start until then but now they have cut that 22 mins.

Here is the FAA press release.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22755

Edited by Spitfire76

We can join the chorus of people breaking their arms patting themselves on their backs or we can have a discussion about what we think this might really mean to our industry.  

When the guidelines were originally presented it struck me as odd that the applicant was required to be a state or municipality or a tribe.  Since it is almost always private enterprise that drives innovation I still think it is a strange choice.

This is politicians being politicians.  

It’s the whole UTM thing and just because a proposed solution is the first to market doesn’t mean it’s the right solution.  In the case of Kansas they drank the Koolaide and use AirMap.  AirMap, and a really big Chinese drone manufacturer are a lot more interested in regulating out competition and these politicians are helping them do it.  

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

In the case of Kansas they drank the Koolaide and use AirMap

Actually it looks like 6 of the 10 selectees are partnering with AirMap!. That big Chinese drone manufacture didn't get selected although apparently they submitted 12 proposals. Of course some of the partners maybe using their hardware so they maybe involved indirectly. 

Also instead of Amazon looks like the drone delivery startup company Flirtey did well as it will be partnering with 4 of the 10 selectees. 

7 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Actually it looks like 6 of the 10 selectees are partnering with AirMap!. 

Yep, they’re all drunk.  This is how group think works.  

Airmap is not about empowering small commercial drone operators, it’s more about being used to control access to airspace to restrict small commercial operators.  

On 5/10/2018 at 9:37 PM, Av8Chuck said:

Airmap is not about empowering small commercial drone operators, it’s more about being used to control access to airspace to restrict small commercial operators.

Can you elaborate? What's your beef with Airmap?

Alan,  for one thing, AirMap is IN FAVOR of a patchwork of state/local/private uas airspace regulation.  They have actually been caught lobbying on behalf of this effort.  Why?  One could guess so they can sell their platform to navigate this extra complicated regulatory landscape. The more complicated, the better from their perspective.  This is not good for us!!

I can't remember the source, but the first time I actually heard of AirMap in 2012 or 2013, I think it was,  they were proposing the idea that private individuals and entities could "purchase" a no-fly-zone through them. And if their software were mandatory on uas, then any particular uav would not be able to fly in that private NFZ that they sold. 

Of course I don't know everything about them and their current goals.  But I do know the above and I am not in favor of any of it.  Avoid all appearances of evil is my take on AirMap and their business model.

Edited by Dave Pitman

Sorry @Alan Perlman for not replying sooner, I've been slammed since returning from XPONENTIAL.  I saw that @Dave Pitman there's a lot included in his reply and just haven't had the time to watch the video.  

AirMap started in business as a website that business owners could login, pay a fee to have the airspace above their business to become a TFR. Along with DJI they have clearly been positioning themselves for a "pay-for-play" or user fee model.

https://www.uasvision.com/2018/05/14/call-on-us-dod-to-ban-use-of-foreign-drones/

Maybe instead of banning Chinese manufacturers they should just remove them from the FAA's ARC committees and then hopefully Jeppesen will step in and AirMap's unreliable and inaccurate data will fade away.

10 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

and then hopefully Jeppesen will step in

Just to add I thought it was interesting to see that Jeppesen and Kittyhawk recently announced a partnership to provide a LAANC service to Kittyhawk's enterprise customers. 

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/company/newsroom/articles.jsp?newsURL=news/newsroom/2018/Kittyhawk_LAANC_NRL.jsp

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Just to add I thought it was interesting to see that Jeppesen and Kittyhawk recently announced a partnership to provide a LAANC service to Kittyhawk's enterprise customers. 

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/company/newsroom/articles.jsp?newsURL=news/newsroom/2018/Kittyhawk_LAANC_NRL.jsp

Ill have to take another look at Kittyhawk!

• Like 1