Bullshot

Videos that fly over houses

Hi been enjoying my Mavic Pro for a couple of weeks now but stay clear of people and property. I see quite a lot of video posts where they fly right over property and it clearly states not to without permission in 101, but they can’t have got a whole street or villages permission. But theres no way this will get policed so they get away with it.  Anyone know of cases where a video has been used against a drone pilot?

Where are you located?  There are different rules that apply in different parts of the World.  

Not sure of the rule here in the US, I guess I should be...  

Hi @Bullshot, where are you located?

In the U.S., the Part 107 regulations for commercial sUAS pilots don't say anything about flying over private property. There's certain critical infrastructure / DOI / government sites that you're not allowed to fly over, and if you're operating from private property, you're going to want to get permission to stand on / operate from / take off and land from that property, but you're allowed to fly over private property without permission. There are other considerations like privacy, local ordinances, etc., but from an FAA / federal perspective, you don't need permission. Hope that helps!

That’s really interesting. I’m in New Zealand and the CAA part 101 rules have the following section in the document ...

101.207 Airspace
(a) A person operating a remotely piloted aircraft must—
(1) unless operating in a danger area under Part 71, avoid operating—
(i) in airspace above persons who have not given consent for the aircraft to operate in that airspace; and
(ii) above property unless prior consent has been obtained from any persons occupying that property or the property owner; and
(2) maintain observation of the surrounding airspace in which the aircraft is operating for other aircraft; and
(3) not operate the aircraft at any height above 400 feet above ground level except in accordance with paragraph (c).

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

This implies that the property owner ultimately owns the airspace up to 400 ft. above their property.