rjake007

Part 107 Waiver Authorization request went from "pending" to "cancelled"

Quick Question: I submitted an Airspace Authorization request on March 15, 2018.  I received an today email informing that the status of the request had changed.  So I log into the Drone Zone and the status is now "cancelled."  Is this FAA-speak for "declined" or "rejected?"  I looked around and the web a bit to try and decipher the meaning but couldn't find anything.  To me "cancelled" means that the request was withdrawn.  There was no explanation provided by FAA.  Anyone have any experience with this sort of circumstance?   

Dont have an answer but just wondering if the area involved has either begun or is about to begin inclusion in LAANC.

Thanks Ed.  Good call.  I just checked and the airport near me was included in Wave 2 of the LAANC rollout - effective May 24, 2018.  I guess I need to pay attention.  Heading to AirMap now to file a flight plan.  

I've had 2 cancelled in the last 2 days because the airports in question just went on LAANC.

Please consider using Skyward until AOPA or some other vendor provides LAANC access.  Try to move away from AirMap if possible.  They are not your friend.

2 hours ago, rjake007 said:

Heading to AirMap now to file a flight plan. 

Hey @Dave Pitman, That's interesting news.  So, airspace authorizations for the facilities in question, once they go LAANC, seem to get cancelled.  My question is whether the original request would/could have been satisfied using LAANC.  If the request was for more than the "grids" would have allowed, then a cancellation is not helpful at all. 

Hi @Ed O'Grady,

They provided no explanation as to the cancellations.  My requests were for wide areas based upon AFM published ceilings. I have received approvals on many similar requests in the past.  I surmise as new airports go live on LAANC that Authorization requests like mine are flagged and cancelled.  I don't know if all  authorization requests in that airspace are cancelled or not.

LAANC is nice.  But having 6 month windows of time to operate whenever you want so long as you stay below the published ceilings is even more convenient once you get it.  Those are probably not available any more for airports participating in LAANC.

Edited by Dave Pitman

13 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

I've had 2 cancelled in the last 2 days because the airports in question just went on LAANC.

Please consider using Skyward until AOPA or some other vendor provides LAANC access.  Try to move away from AirMap if possible.  They are not your friend.

Good advice, Dave.  AirMap seems very intrusive and controlling.   I decided not to go with them.  I went with Skyward and got an immediate authorization for a flight plan this Friday. 

14 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Lucky guess on my part!  Let us know how your LAANC clearance goes.

Hi Ed.  I went with Skyward and got immediate authorization.  I suggest taking Dave's advice: avoid AirMap, go with Skyward.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, Dave Pitman said:

Hearing this more and more from other folks in the industry. Big fan of Skyward and their team, for what it's worth.

5 minutes ago, Alan Perlman said:

Hearing this more and more from other folks in the industry. Big fan of Skyward and their team, for what it's worth.

It's good to hear more folks are getting up to speed on questioning AirMap's goals.  I don't really like harping on it but at the same time I don't want them to succeed.  If 'we' all realize what they are up to, their plan will fail.

Trouble is this industry is dominated by the group think of one major manufacturer who targets anyone who disagrees with their policies.  People just want to hear that you buy a drone, take a class, get a license and companies will beat a path to your door.  Instant career!

If people want to make a career in this industry then they really need to understand the influences shaping regulations, influencing access to capital and marketshare etc..  We don't have to agree on it, but it should be a part of the narrative that is shaping this industry.  Unfortunately its crickets.  

I guess this generation isn't willing to challenge the prerogatives of governments or large corporations in anything other than global warming and the me-to movement, and the older generation just doesn't seem to have the stomach for it.   

Two things:

1. I had been approved for the same down in Boca Raton, FL. The approval period was changed from ending 01/25/2020 to 09/30/18. My guess is they will be going LAANC by then. No explanation, just changed. 

2. What's the issue with Airmap? Is there another thread I can read more about it? I've used them, but not extensively. I'd love to know more. 

Thanks!

Rob

Why all the negativity about airmap? I used it twice yesterday and it worked great in class B airspace. Submitted a Pt 107 flight plan under the grid limits and got an authorization number back in seconds with a timer. I then notified them back when flight ended. Seems they don’t want long term waiver requests for authorizations with the new system. What sinister goals does airmap have?

@RobJager, I checked on Boca going live with LAANC and it is not currently scheduled to happen.  I'm assuming that you mean BCT and if so, through September there is no implementation date from FAA.  Doesn't mean it's not going to happen, but not announced as yet.

@Ed O'Grady Yep...BCT. Hmmm. That's interesting. I'm not sure why they would change the effective date. Maybe next time I call them for something I can also ask that question. I didn't see it listed either, but thought something had changed since I looked last. 

Thanks for your insight!

Rob

On 6/11/2018 at 3:26 PM, RobJager said:

2. What's the issue with Airmap? Is there another thread I can read more about it? I've used them, but not extensively. I'd love to know more. 

23 hours ago, exop said:

Why all the negativity about airmap? I used it twice yesterday and it worked great in class B airspace.

Hi guys,

Providing access to LAANC is not Airmap's business plan.  They provide that free and likely will never charge for it.  That is not why there is growing distaste for AirMap among independent uas ops. That comes from how the do plan to make money.

Check out this vlog that explores AirMaps hopes on cashing in.  AirMap does not deny any of the claims raised in that video.  But they would prefer to keep it out of the spotlight if possible.

So, using AirMap, even for LAANC access,  just helps them to be in the public eye and viable in their ultimate goal of profiting off of a highly complex NAS system that "we" don't want in the first place.  Using them is like shooting yourself if the foot, IMHO.  Obviously, you can decide for yourselves.

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 2

Thanks for the post Dave Pitman. Watched the video and I think I know what's ultimately going on here. $125 for a state license, $65 for a city permit and another $45 for a county waiver over the park and another $35 for airmap to let me know who I will owe this money to. Problem is it'll probably rain next month so the 2 minute fly-by I was planning for the wedding won't happen, but I'm sure the happy couple won't mind me charging them anyway. Jeesh, talk about killing an industry so pockets can get filled. Oh, it's to keep us all safe... never mind.

• Sad 1