L.A newbie/intermediate drone pilot looking for Mavic Air lessons

Hey guys!

My name is Josh and live in the L.A/ Santa Monica area.  I just bought a mavic air and have already taken it on a handful of trips... im getting pretty good with quickshots and am OK at flying manually but am looking to improve / hone my skills.  Would love to meet other pilots in the area.  I would also be up for taking some private 1 on 1 lessons with a fellow experienced pilot who has experience with the mavic air and can help me be the ninja of the skies that i know i am destined to be !  Please feel free to DM me

Hey Alan, Hey Josh,

As you know I teach for the Unmanned Vehicle University and the LA Tech College.  My Students include Pilots who are now working with the CA Dept of Corrections, HeloFlyers doing Cell Phone Tower Inspections, NBC / Universal filing the Olympics and TV Shows.  In addition to my flight training I am a working 2nd Unit Director filming a TV show, Music  Video and Several TV Commercials.  I own a DJI Phantom 4Pro Plus, an Inspire Pro 1, a Mavic Air, a Parrot BeBoop 2 and Disco.  More about me is found here at www.dronepilotflightschool.com or www.hollywood-drones.net  I am Hollywood CA Based.  Be glad to get you up in the air and teach you some flying tricks and how to get a job in the industry.  

Hey Michael,

My sister lives in Palm Springs, I also Produce TV events for the Hard Rock, the Morongo and for the Wounded Warrior Golf Tournament at the Cimeron Golf Course.  

I teach for Unmanned Vehicle University and for the Los Angeles Trade Tech as mentioned about.  I have access to a massive flying field in Rancho Cucamonga, its off the 210/15, Only an hour from downtown Palm Springs.   

I also will be teaching late fall at Palm Springs Prep.  

There are many places to fly outside of the Palm Springs International Airspace.  1st and foremost you can head to the Salton Sea Area.  Pretty much from Coachella/Mecca down is unrestricted airspace. You can also look across the 10 to Desert Hot Springs.

However right now its to hot to fly in the Desert, 1st the drones really should not be flying when its over 85 degrees, its bad for the motors, batteries, and your tablet or phone. "which by the way will stop working if it overheats" and in the summer its also too windy out there.

However in the fall, me and my students take some "drone safaris" out into the desert to get some killer videos, pics, and while we are at it, have some great tail gate food and drink.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Skip Fredricks said:

However right now its to hot to fly in the Desert, 1st the drones really should not be flying when its over 85 degrees, its bad for the motors, batteries, and your tablet or phone. "which by the way will stop working if it overheats" and in the summer its also too windy out there.

It’s preety hard to imagine why any professional would purchase a drone that can’t be flown safely in temperatures above 85 degrees, in winds above 25 knots and be restricted from flying anywhere you chose to fly?  

All good points. Which is why I try and fly when the temps are below 85, the winds are less than 25 and in unrestricted airspace or now using LAANC.  I’m fortunate that in most cases I can schedule my shoots around those limitations.  As a TV producer who produced live events for FOX Sports, weather was always an issue so I guess I just got used to dealing with it.  

• Like 1
On 6/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, Skip Fredricks said:

However in the fall, me and my students take some "drone safaris" out into the desert to get some killer videos, pics, and while we are at it, have some great tail gate food and drink.

Drone safaris? Love it :)

Skip, interesting stuff and I would like to know more -- particularly about the field to practice in.  I would agree that flying in this heat is not ideal, and am looking forward to heading out toward Salton Sea once it cools down in the fall.  I'm with Alan, and love the Drone safari thing.  I want to be part of that! 

Hey Michale, 

Hopefully I can get you hooked up for some flying fun, and yes I'll start posting as soon as the  weather cools as to when we head out to some amazing places I have discovered  on my desert safaris!!  

So you can email me direct and I'll give you a rundown of what and where.  Great to meet you!! s.fredricks@yahoo.com 

Bor Springs Scorpion small.jpg

• 1 month later...