José Román Bilbao

Watermelon crop, what to do?

Hi, folks, 

We are trying to make a new client. This is a watermelon crop and we have got NDVI images from a small portion of terrain. The greener portion in the middle is due to weed and the client asks "convince me, from that photo what would you recommend for our crop?" Any hints? I know it would be a bit crazy to give advice on a crop we have just visited 30 minutes from aerial images. So his question may be well a trap. In such a situation we don't really know if it is really a trap or if he is trying to know what would we do next once we have this image. What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Jose

watermelon.png

I'm guessing its not so much of a trap but more of a test.  He's probably trying to figure out if you know how to interpret the data your looking at.

If you can't there's no real value to the data you collected.  If you can give him some advice on how he could improve his crop from what you have then he might hire you to collect more data.

The challenge is how do you make data collected by a drone actionable.  If you don't know anything about farming you probably can't.    

On 6/20/2018 at 2:48 AM, Av8Chuck said:

I'm guessing its not so much of a trap but more of a test.  He's probably trying to figure out if you know how to interpret the data your looking at.

If you can't there's no real value to the data you collected.  If you can give him some advice on how he could improve his crop from what you have then he might hire you to collect more data.

The challenge is how do you make data collected by a drone actionable.  If you don't know anything about farming you probably can't.    

Thanks for your response. Fortunately we managed to give a good response. Thank god we have agricultural knowledge but did not on the commercial part regarding drones+agriculture and how to convince someone our product is good with a 30 minutes visit. We had to give general suggestions regarding non-uniformity and its probable relation to irrigation differences among sectors. Let's wait for his response. 

We finally managed to contact two technicians with deep knowledge on crops and watermelon so our response cannot be bad.

Cheers

On 6/21/2018 at 3:42 AM, José Román Bilbao said:

Thanks for your response. Fortunately we managed to give a good response. Thank god we have agricultural knowledge but did not on the commercial part regarding drones+agriculture and how to convince someone our product is good with a 30 minutes visit. We had to give general suggestions regarding non-uniformity and its probable relation to irrigation differences among sectors. Let's wait for his response. 

We finally managed to contact two technicians with deep knowledge on crops and watermelon so our response cannot be bad.

Cheers

Did the farmer ever get back to you?  

What I have done with farmers is let them know that I am not an agronomist, but most have one they use and that the information can help the agronomist narrow their searches when in the field saving time.  So far has worked well.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, Juggernaught said:

Did the farmer ever get back to you?  

What I have done with farmers is let them know that I am not an agronomist, but most have one they use and that the information can help the agronomist narrow their searches when in the field saving time.  So far has worked well.

Yes, they did. Finally they won't be working with us. Not because they didn't like it but because they consider that their crops are too short-lived (100 days) for the technology to be useful for them at this moment... we will have to wait 🙂

Thanks!

On 6/20/2018 at 4:48 AM, Av8Chuck said:

On 6/19/2018 at 11:53 PM, José Román Bilbao said:

Hi, folks, 

We are trying to make a new client. This is a watermelon crop and we have got NDVI images from a small portion of terrain. The greener portion in the middle is due to weed and the client asks "convince me, from that photo what would you recommend for our crop?" Any hints? I know it would be a bit crazy to give advice on a crop we have just visited 30 minutes from aerial images. So his question may be well a trap. In such a situation we don't really know if it is really a trap or if he is trying to know what would we do next once we have this image. What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Jose

watermelon.png

This may not be a trap. You need to compare the NDVI data with RGB image files and do some ground verification to identify the condition of the crop to properly analyze the data. So you need to convince the new client to believe your interpretation of the NDVI imagery.