Sign in to follow this  
Ed O'Grady

FAA Unmanned General Recurrent (UGR) test

A word of caution regarding the recurrent test.  Your new certificate will reflect a 2 year period from the date you take and pass the recurrent exam.  I spoke with CATS this morning and was in the process of scheduling my exam and I asked the question.  As an example, my certificate exprires 31 August 2018.  If I take the exam on 30 June 2018, the new certificate will expire 2 years from then thereby certifying me for only 10 months instead of 12 beyond my current expiration.  

Edited by Ed O'Grady

Good info Ed.  That is typically how the FAA handles these things.  Not like a subscription that just adds time to what you have left. It makes sense else in the extreme, a guy could take and pass the test 3 days in a row and be good for 6 years.

In manned aviation, it is a common practice to take a recurrence event, test, medical, etc., in the first of the month following the expiration month in order to gain a month on each renewal. 

Edited by Dave Pitman

Hmmm - now there's an idea.  It actually would work out for me.  My preferred location is open now but will close for the months of July and August. My expiration date is Aug 31.  So if I book for Sept 4 (day after labor day) I will gain a month.  Gonna give that a shot.  Thanks @Dave Pitman.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, Ed O'Grady said:

Hmmm - now there's an idea.  It actually would work out for me.  My preferred location is open now but will close for the months of July and August. My expiration date is Aug 31.  So if I book for Sept 4 (day after labor day) I will gain a month.  Gonna give that a shot.  Thanks @Dave Pitman.

I would be careful there. If you cert expires August 31st and you retest on September 4th, will that be a recertification or will you have to take the full test again because your cert has expired? I don't know the answer to this.

@R Martin, I spoke with FSDO ATL today about this.  The Part 107 Certificate does not expire but to be legal to operate, you must have taken either the original or the recurrent exam within the previous 24 months.  So, yes, I can delay until Sept 5 and then I will actually gain a month.

11 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

@R Martin, I spoke with FSDO ATL today about this.  The Part 107 Certificate does not expire but to be legal to operate, you must have taken either the original or the recurrent exam within the previous 24 months.  So, yes, I can delay until Sept 5 and then I will actually gain a month.

Good information to know. Mine expires in September. Thank you Ed!

Actually it would prevent you from operating commercially until your certificate was processed - a few days after you passed the test so maybe Oct 3 or 4th. It's you decision!

11 hours ago, Steve Bennett said:

So, mine expires September 6, do I wait renew until October 1? Wouldn't that prevent me from flying commercially from September 7 - October 1? 

Steve,  Note 107.65 below. 

"within the previous 24 calendar months"

Currency will expire on the last day of the month in which you obtained currency.  That is the way currency of any kind works in manned aviation.  If you passed your test on Sept. 7,  you are current until the end of Sept.  So, if you waited until Oct. 1 to re-test, you would not be able to fly in Oct. until you pass.

§107.65   Aeronautical knowledge recency.

A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft system unless that person has completed one of the following, within the previous 24 calendar months:

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 1

Hey Guys, I'm still a bit confused about when is the best time for me to take the recurrent test. I passed the initial test on Sept 1, 2016.

From what I understand from some of the previous posts its valid until September 30, 2018 but surely I would have to pass the recurrent test in August, 2018 to be within the previous 24 months.

The point to remember which is where you are getting confused, is that your Remote Pilot Certificate does not expire, ever.  It is a life-long certification unless specifically revoked.

That does not mean you are legal to operate under the certificate for life without fulfilling the FAA currency requirement, which in the case of the RP is passing a test.

So,  you are legal to operate under your certificate so long as you have passed the test within the preceding 24 months.  If you passed your test anytime in Sept. 2016, you are legal to operate until the end of Sept. 2018.  On Oct. 1,  2018 you will not be legal to operate until you pass the re-currency test.  If you do not want your operating privileges to lapse, even for 1 day, then you need to pass your re-currency test sometime in Sept. 2018.  If you don't care that it lapses and wait to take and pass your test on Oct. 1 2018,  you will gain a month in the next 24 month cycle.

There are no "black marks" associated with letting it lapse but the timing is entirely up to you.  You could wait 6 months and then retake and pass the test and the 24 month clock starts from then.  You would not be legal to operate in the meantime.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 1

Thanks @Dave Pitman for the clarification that really helped. I was thinking that if I don't take the recurrent test in time then I would have to re-take the initial test again but as you explained that's not the case and I will only ever have to take the recurrent test.

Edited by Spitfire76

So what do you need to do after taking and passing the UGR exam? Do you need to reapply through IACRA? Or will the system automatically figure it all out? I may be asking this prematurely since I only took the UGR yesterday... I know it takes like 48 hours, sometimes longer for IACRA to do anything. Thanks,

• Like 1

I just took my recurrent test and was told to reapply through IACRA once it's posted. But then I've heard I don't need to do anything since technically there's no expiration date on my remote pilot certificate. Bit confused, just checked IACRA a week after the test and nothing is posted.

Read my post a few above yours.  No, you do not need to do anything except keep you paperwork safe in case you are ever asked to prove currency.  The RP certificate never expires, only your operating privileges.

So if part 107 and its recurrent testing is understood-

say you passed your test on October 31, 2016. You are good to fly until October 31, 2018 on your original test, but you can take the 40 question recurrent test anytime in November, to renew your part 107 flying privileges from November 2018-November 2020?

Your operational privileges will lapse for the time period November 1 -November 30th, until you take and pass the recurrent test on a given date in November, say November 10?  The date can be arbitrary and between Nov 1 -Nov 30? So say you pass the November 10 test, your flight privileges would renew when the FAA (IACRA) recognize your passing the Nov 10 recurrent test? Say they recognize your passing 5 days later on the 15th, your good to fly again commercially now moving forward on Nov 15th? 

In addition, even if you fail the recurrent test taken on November 10 let's say, you don't ever have to take the original 60 question part 107 exam again? You could take a 2nd recurrent test (40 questions) on November 24th lets say?

Finally, what about the date of issue on your Part 107 certificate plastic card? For example, you took the test October 31 2016, but your part 107 card was only issued on November 7 2016, and this is the date of the plastic certificate. Does this mean your part 107 certificate is good through November 30 2018? Does this part 107 certificate card date mean anything as far as your flying privileges and the re-testing every two years goes?

Any advice on the above questions appreciated, as it all still seems confusing going in to the Part 107 recurrent next month, seeing the testing dates and part 107 certificate dates do not match. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, Red Rocks Flyer said:

So if part 107 and its recurrent testing is understood-

say you passed your test on October 31, 2016. You are good to fly until October 31, 2018 on your original test, but you can take the 40 question recurrent test anytime in November, to renew your part 107 flying privileges from November 2018-November 2020?

Your operational privileges will lapse for the time period November 1 -November 30th, until you take and pass the recurrent test on a given date in November, say November 10?  The date can be arbitrary and between Nov 1 -Nov 30? So say you pass the November 10 test, your flight privileges would renew when the FAA (IACRA) recognize your passing the Nov 10 recurrent test? Say they recognize your passing 5 days later on the 15th, your good to fly again commercially now moving forward on Nov 15th? 

In addition, even if you fail the recurrent test taken on November 10 let's say, you don't ever have to take the original 60 question part 107 exam again? You could take a 2nd recurrent test (40 questions) on November 24th lets say?

Finally, what about the date of issue on your Part 107 certificate plastic card? For example, you took the test October 31 2016, but your part 107 card was only issued on November 7 2016, and this is the date of the plastic certificate. Does this mean your part 107 certificate is good through November 30 2018? Does this part 107 certificate card date mean anything as far as your flying privileges and the re-testing every two years goes?

Any advice on the above questions appreciated, as it all still seems confusing going in to the Part 107 recurrent next month, seeing the testing dates and part 107 certificate dates do not match. 

----Does your Part 107 currency lapse during your test date month, or lapse during the month on your plastic Part 107 license card, when the two dates differ by a week and by a calendar month, with the plastic Part 107 card having the later week & month date----

First of all, forget IACRA.  FAA does not update the information there.  here's an example (me).  Original test taken 8/29/2016 and the card issue date shows 8/31/2016.  that will never change.  So I had to take the UGR exam by 8/31/2018 to remain current.  I was not able to do that so I took the exam on 9/07/2018 and passed.  That's it.  You will be given the test report and my expiration of "currency" is shown as 9/30/2020.  That's all there is to the paperwork.  In my case, for a period of 7 days I was not "current" to fly under Part 107.  But I added 1 month to my currency.

So the FAA will NOT be issuing me a new, shiny, good-looking certificate card now that I've passed my 2-year recurrent test, correct? And I need

to NOT lose or damage this embossed sheet of paper that says I'm good for the next 2 years---nothing else gets issued? 

Thanks. Just trying to make sure I dot all the proper i's here!

Andrew,

Did anyone reply to you?  I have the same question/concern.  I took my re-current test 2 months ago.  The testing center said I don't need to do anything else.  I have been checking the mail for a new certificate, but nothing has been delivered.  Are we supposed to keep the test results in our possession along with our old certificate?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, SAC89 said:

Andrew,

Did anyone reply to you?  I have the same question/concern.  I took my re-current test 2 months ago.  The testing center said I don't need to do anything else.  I have been checking the mail for a new certificate, but nothing has been delivered.  Are we supposed to keep the test results in our possession along with our old certificate?

Thanks!

Yes, the test results are your proof that you are current. Nothing else is going to be sent to you.

Truly it makes the most sense to just not stay current.    I've been in this business full time since 2012, jumped every hoop the FAA put in front of me... which started with "get a manned pilot license or face a 100k fine" message direct from my FSDO director.     I've received Motion Picture COA's (3 miles non line of site),  Regesterd UAS like regualr aircraft with N numbers prior to the Number System now in place for UAS...107 once it was available, and a 3rd class medical (required for manned pilots training).    I've spent literally 22k jumping hoops for the FAA.    I will not take the recurrence test.  

I know people that have Bi-polar disorders registered and taking medications that the FAA simply overlooks and issues 107 certs.   The FAA is not interested in your ability to fly under currency, they are simply interested in collecting that $75 to $150 every 2 years from your FBO you test at.      Its time we stand against the FAA for simply Money Gouging us for nearly 7 years. 

I'm ready to Sue the FAA once i can find a lawyer willing to attempt (most, even Aviation Lawyers are scared to death of the FAA).   I have a clear case of obstruction of business (illegal on state and federal levels).

Also, i know 3 state employees that operate UAS for various purposes that have NO 107, NO COA, NO COW, NO Medicals, NO attempts at getting legal.    If the STATE doesn't care, why bother.    The FAA is around to simply scare us into giving them our hard earned money,  you can buy them off with capital too.  Go look at how the FAA investigation into Boeing is going...  you can see they are literally scared of loosing boeing money so they are bowing to what Boeing is saying about the SuperMax, instead of doing their job and actually investigating.   

If you have a 0 incident record, the FAA wont turn their head, even if you have NO licensing or certs to operate a UAS.   

Building a business on UAS was a house of cards.. so many kids with best buy drones doing commercial jobs in my area for 20-50 bucks.  In order to operate as a business my minimum fee is $150 or i'm loosing money on a job...  Being LEGAL and LICENSED only puts you in a place to LOOSE with commercially operated UAS.  Its insane, we need to take control back.   The FEDS WORK FOR US, not US FOR THEM..  we need to correct the false mindset of the population.  

Talking with my FAA tower ops, they love drones, they love the current operators, and they have no orders from FSDO to investigate, report or prosecute UAS encroachment.    Tower is happy to let me fly inside the class c Vail if i simply call them and report my operation.  They just need to know where you at to maintain proper avoidance from manned operations. 

Edited by geekrawker
Auto correct misspelled boeing