This may be VERY interesting to all of you!

I was asked to be the guest speaker for all of the Southern California Tax Revenue officers at their conference. I jumped at the chance to get in front of this group to challenge them to see how crazy it is that cities believe they can put regulation on top of the FAA’s regulations. Many cities in Southern California have city regulations that require either a fee per year, fee per flight, or simple say no flight is possible in their city. Long story short. I finished with showing them the new (as of last week in my area) LAANC app on my mobile device that allowed me to plan a flight, and then was given approval seconds later to fly in a city that said I had to pay a yearly registration to fly there. I asked how it was that they believe they had a legal right to over ride the FAA’s federal authority. I though this in as well. I said, 90% of Commercial drone operators shoot real estate. Never has any city required an MLS (real estate) Photography get a filming permit. Just because my camera flys I’m going to be concidered in a different category? Good luck. Legal up him battle!

Edited by Kirk
14 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I said, 90% of Commercial drone operators shoot real estate. Never has any city required an MLS (real estate) Photography get a filming permit. Just because my camera flys I’m going to be concidered in a different category? Good luck. Legal up him battle!

Unfortunately, not exactly accurate.  When this regulatory mess started in 2012 the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department teamed up with California Association of Realtors and posted rules governing the use of drones in real estate marketing.  Obviously, they didn't actually have the authority to do that but an unintended consequence was that along with LA Film Commision they started requiring real estate photographers to get permits.      

And that's how it still is.  Is it being enforced?  Yeah, more than Part 107.  Never underestimate the power of unions and associations like the CAR and LA Film in California...

@Av8Chuck yes you are correct about what the Los Angeles Shariffs did. You are also correct in that they have no legal standing to over ride Federal law. So most of Southern California, including cities in Los Angeles County do not contract the Los Angeles police or shariffs departments. Many cities within Los Angeles county have their own police departments. This also means these cities do not recognize Los Angeles  city rule changes. Like wise the attempts of the film industry have no control on these cities. I know because I have been to each city hall within 20 miles of the Southern California beach city  to ask them what rules do they have for drone folks like us. I have a note book full that I take on my job sites in cases authories have questions. This is how i happened to be asked to speak on this topic. I was in the El Segundo city hall talking to James the Tax Revenue Officer. He was very interested in speaking with me. El Segundo is literally next to the south runway for Los Angeles international runway. He contacted me moths latter to speak in fromt of his group. Trust me @Av8Chuck if any of the cities that were present (not every city showed up) for this talk had opposition such as what you brought they would not have hesitated to say so.