UAV to survey disused rail line

Hi There Surveyors, 

Putting together a quote to Survey 22km of disused rail line (say 20m either side of centreline) in a rural area, anyone done this and any pointers is appreciated.  I will be using a Phantom 4 Pro,  Pix4D and Agisoft Photoscan software with GCP's. We are getting great results with this setup.  We aim to cover about 4km per day. My issues are trying to pre-plan. Cant upload Google earth polygon to apple devices I know of in Pix4d how about another app worth looking at......

Cheers

Kind of off topic, but have you used P4D and Photoscan Pro (PSP) much so far for other projects? 

I have an older version of PSP and it has issues because it uses International foot instead of US Survey foot. I thought I had a fix for that, but my clouds keep coming in in off a few feet and have to be registered. It's easy to see, I just import the control points back into the dense point cloud and see if the match the GCP's. This happens even though I state the projection as NAD83 US WASouth survey foot. I hope that is fixed, because I do really like how well the clouds turn out.

I am also curious how P4D compares to PSP. Have you done any head to head comparisons?

Gary

What are you using for your capture platform? IOS or Android?

I have not had a problem using P4D capture on my IPad (though the other day it refused to upload the mission with my DJI P4P). I have several capture apps installed. Maps Made Easy, Drone Deploy, DatuflyPro and DJI GS Pro. Many people really like Litchi which I am going to try out soon. My main gripe about most of them is you cannot control the gimble. P4DCapture and for the some applications, GS Pro allow this (as I am told Litchi does as well), and only P4D has crosshatch grids which are nice for getting better detail.

Litchi does not have a lawn mower pattern but you could build one yourself with waypoints.  

Both Map Pilot and Drone Deploy have cris-cross patterns available. 

Map Pilot, and and think Drone Deploy too, allow the user to tilt the gimbal in flight.

What are you using for your capture platform? IOS or Android?

I have not had a problem using P4D capture on my IPad (though the other day it refused to upload the mission with my DJI P4P). I have several capture apps installed. Maps Made Easy, Drone Deploy, DatuflyPro and DJI GS Pro. Many people really like Litchi which I am going to try out soon. My main gripe about most of them is you cannot control the gimble. P4DCapture and for the some applications, GS Pro allow this (as I am told Litchi does as well), and only P4D has crosshatch grids which are nice for getting better detail.

Edited by Dave Pitman

Litchi is the go-to app for repeatable oblique imagery.  Lately, I have not even been using the app to automate flying.  I just load the waypoints and they populate the satellite view and I fly to them manually and take my photos.  The other apps are better suited for collecting nadir imagery. 

Map Pilot has a Linear Mission mode that may be helpful in situations like the OP's Task.