Sign in to follow this  
OBarnes

Flying drones in National Forest

Greetings fellow pilots, first post here. I usually just read what Alan sends out and move on.

Today's email included some talk about how it's impossible to fly drones in national parks. I am here to tell you that this is untrue. With proper permitting you CAN not only fly, but record video and photos too. I received permitting and commissioned flights for 23 campgrounds within the Coconino National Forest in Arizona during the fall of 2017, producing video and photographs for the campground websites. Just call the permitting contact for the National Forest and request a permit application. You will need to provide detailed flight plans, proof of insurance that includes the United States of America as "additionally insured", and a reason for flying/ filming that convinces the ranger in charge that the permit is worthy of being issued.

Not sure why this is in the DJI thread, I'm guessing this was the topic Alan linked to in his email:

It would be nice if it consolidates here.

The National Park Service's policy is more restrictive than either the Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management who manage our public and forest lands and issue permits for commercial use. Earlier today, I posted a contribution to this discussion in the "News & Events, Flying in National Parks" thread that was highlighted in the UAV Coach editor's weekly email (August 25th). A basic question that I have is whether or not the NPS is implementing a policy as if it were a regulation, without having gone through the formal Federal rulemeaking process. As I noted in my response, I understand the NPS' concerns but am concerned that their approach is a bit draconian.