Press Release – FAA Statement–Federal vs. Local Drone Authority

Recent press release from the FAA

"Cities and municipalities are not permitted to have their own rules or regulations governing the operation of aircraft. 
However, as indicated, they may generally determine the location of aircraft landing sites through their land use powers."   

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938&omniRss=press_releasesAoc&cid=102_P_R

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Spitfire76 said:

Recent press release from the FAA

"Cities and municipalities are not permitted to have their own rules or regulations governing the operation of aircraft. 
However, as indicated, they may generally determine the location of aircraft landing sites through their land use powers."   

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938&omniRss=press_releasesAoc&cid=102_P_R

Yeah, @Ed O'Grady beat ya to it.....bottom of here:  

Nice to hear though!

6 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

No harm.  It's worthy.

Well I've posted breaking news in the past just to see someone else start a new thread with the same information a few days later and must admit I find that annoying so sorry again to have done that to you. 

Interesting story.  The thing is that the PDF from the FAA press release basically lays out the way for states and municipalities to address drones.  In short, leave the airspace alone and focus on zoning and land use Vis-à-vis takeoffs/ landings and operation. 

In the story, that is what the town went after.  They effectively created a hurdle that could not be overcome.  You could use the airspace but you could not take off or land within 2 miles, effectively clearing the airspace from uavs.

The question then becomes, can the town prohibit someone from operating a uav from private property or with permission of the property owner?  I don't know.  I know they can prohibit folks from discharging weapons or use of fireworks or outdoor burning.  Probably a bunch of other stuff.   I think that at some point, it will go to court and if it is held that local law can regulate operating as opposed to the airspace question, then we are unfortunately probably going to see a lot more copies of the successful model being passed to some degree all over the place.  

BTW,  Unfortunately, this is the exact model that AirMap is hoping and lobbying for so that their app will be a tool to help you navigate the quagmire. If the quagmire doesn't happen, AirMap looks for a new business model.

Edited by Dave Pitman

I think AirMaps model is to be a tool local official and business owners can use to charge drone operators for flying from or above their property,  

I think its great that this woman stood up for her rights.  The government does not have the authority to tell anyone what they can do for a living and the FAA is prohibited from regulating Commerce, so commercial drone companies are kind of caught in the middle and this woman's remedy was spot on.  By turning the tables that if they didn't specifically deny her request that she would presume it was legal was pretty smart.