Capturing a crowd with a drone, safe and legal recommendations

Hey Pilots,

I operate in New Orleans, LA and if you're not familiar, the city is known for having large events and crowds. Thus someone is looking to capture these crowds for both data and marketing purposes and I have received many commercial opportunities for this.

We all know that as being a Part 107 pilots we are not allowed to fly directly over crowds. However, I found ways to capture crowds safely and efficiently, while adhering to the FAA’s policy.

Check out this article on ways and examples on how I have effectively captured crowds.  https://flightlogblog.com/2018/04/05/how-to-safely-capture-a-crowd-with-a-drone/

Let me know what you think!

Hi @Philip Moore

Thank you for sharing your well thought out article about how you're able to capture drone footage of a crowd without violating the FAA's policy that prohibits Part 107 pilots from flying directly over crowds. I think it's important to mention that you must keep the unmanned aerial vehicle at or below 400 feet while flying as well. 

New Orleans seems to hold many opportunities for drone photography and videography. Keep up the great work!