Sign in to follow this  
ctran03

Price for Wedding Drone Photography and Videography

Hi,

I just received an opportunity to work on a wedding drone photography and videography.  At first, the suggested pricing was $1500 including 4 hours of a drone pilot and drone (mine - Phantom 3) for outside ceremony, professional aerial photos and finished video of 3-5 minutes.  

After the meeting, the company pays $400 for 4 hours of the drone pilot and drone with the raw/ untouched photos and videos on a flash drive and in addition $300 for professional photos and finished video of 3-5 minutes with the couple's wedding/ favorite song.

Questions

1. Is the price too low?

2. What is the standard price breakdown for wedding drone photography and videography?  My online research stated $500 to $3500 or $200/ hr.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Make it plain, four hours inclusive, total to include the photos and videos. This is not an if / or type of thing. Your paying me $1500 for my time, equipment (Drone and cameras) Photos and video.

Editing, in fact, can be additional charges, per hour.

Exactly how many edits does the customer get? Your time, computer and work product are your money. That doesn't come free. Suggest one edit.

Don't forget to have and charge for insurance. Last thing you need is some low life coming after you for purposely getting too close to your drone "because he was drunk" (insert any money hungry grubbing lie here.)

Let them choose the method of delivery but include each items cost.

I have heard of too many getting taken to the cleaners because of what they did not have in writing beforehand. 

Your knowledge, skills and abilities are valuable. Get the fair price for them.

This is a contract situation.

• Like 2

I had DJI phantom 4, Mavic and Spark. While I used the DJI Mavic for aerial photography a lot. Since the Mavic 2 is a new product, I'd love to wait for a few months after some more professional reviews release. 

• Like 1

Aside from "avoid weddings", my advice would be to establish a half day rate which should be roughly 2/3 of a full day rate.  A day in the videography industry is generally 10 hours with an hour for lunch (+/- an hour depending on market).  So if you're going to commit to to a wedding, your time alone should be a minimum of a half day rate.  You may also consider an hourly rate for post processing.  The logic behind a day rate versus an hourly or final project time rate is that you're tied up for several hours before, during, and after the ceremony whether you're shooting or not.  

MedicFL1 was spot on with insurance (see my "avoid weddings" comment).  You also have to factor in amortization of the drones, your cameras, software, computer hardware, your insurance costs, etc.  These all play into your bottom line.  

As for how much to charge, I think it totally depends on the market.  Where I operate, drones are not well established in terms of providing value, so I can't get away with charging the same as my competitors in Denver 90 miles to the south.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

As for how much to charge, I think it totally depends on the market.  Where I operate, drones are not well established in terms of providing value, so I can't get away with charging the same as my competitors in Denver 90 miles to the south.  

It’s next to impossible to make a profit when you do anything as a one-off, like a wedding or property video or event video.  If the reason your being paid is because you have a drone you shouldn’t expect to make much.  

Weddings can be particularly difficult for lots of reasons, your service is competing for a limited amount of dollars in an event where everything is important, the flowers, catering, music, venue etc., so if you want a bigger piece of that you’d better provide a service that really stands out.  

There’s a whole wedding industry so obviously it can be done but if all you offer is Aerial then it needs to be better than anything anyone has ever seen.  If your going to provide full service photography and videography then you need to either figure out a workflow where you can get in and out quickly and do more weddings or you need to develop a look or style that you can charge more for and that people want. 

Whichever you choose it takes quite a few productions to figure out where your value is. Also keep in mind that weddings are very important to Bridzilla, it’s a one shot deal and if you don’t deliver there can be hell to pay.  So there’s a lot of responsibility. 

I agree with @Talon Six Aerial run away.  

• Like 1