Av8Chuck

Score Free Advice From Industry Professionals

It seems that people come out of the woodwork to score free stuff.  I get it, that’s cool.  However, you don’t need to score free tickets to a trade show to interact with some of the most knowledgable industry professionals.  Just post questions and replies right here on this forum and start a meaningful discussion.  

There are people on this forum who actually started drone companies that employ people, that provide a full time living etc., and are willing to share their experiences right here.  

They may not always tell you what you want to hear but at least you can engage with them, ask as many questions as you like, get a variety of opinions over a period of time and decide for yourself whether the person your interacting with is worth listening too.   Best of all it’s FREE!  Everyday.

Granted, on a forum you have to filter people’s biases and experience.  Anyone who has read my advice knows I’m no fan of DJI, but I’m upfront about it and try to provide as brand agnostic advice as I can.  At a trade show people are rarely agnostic or transparent, they have an agenda and all they want to do is sell or tell you what you want to hear.  

For the lucky two people who get the free tickets, go have a great time in Vegas, how about for the rest of you who don’t have the opportunity to go to the show you ask the questions here and get to know the people who try to answer them.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how the backend of this forum works, but it appears like folks just respond to a newsletter or something rather than interacting with the forum directly.  Not sure as I don't get any such newsletter.  But with all the first-time posters jumping in to a contest "all of a sudden" that would be my guess.

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 1

Not sure how it works either. Alan sends out an email every week with stories and links to active topics on the forum.  I don’t believe there’s really any integration between the two.  Ive suggested that the topics in the email should have a corresponding thread in the forum so people could reply to the stories directly in the forum to encourage conversation. 

Thanks for posting, @Av8Chuck. Always appreciate your input and spirit for this community.

5 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Alan sends out an email every week with stories and links to active topics on the forum.  I don’t believe there’s really any integration between the two.  Ive suggested that the topics in the email should have a corresponding thread in the forum so people could reply to the stories directly in the forum to encourage conversation. 

Yes, we send out a weekly industry newsletter to both our Drone Pilot Ground School students and to anyone who signs up from the UAV Coach website. If you scroll to the bottom of this page — https://uavcoach.com/start/ — you'll see a "Subscribe" button. @Dave Pitman — we do not yet have our forum software connected to our email newsletter, not in the kind of elegant way I'd ultimately want to have. Would love to have you join our newsletter, though!

And @Av8Chuck, yes you've suggested that the topics in the email / our regular blog posts have a corresponding thread in the forum to encourage discussion. Let me chat with our new Marketing Manager, @Isabella | UAV Coach, about this so we can get it going. Appreciate the nudge.

Not sure if there's anything wrong but it's odd that so many of the people responding to the free tickets are there first and only post.

This is such a millennial industry.  My post was yet another bad joke to see if anyone would even reply...

• Haha 1

I don't think anything is wrong. I think it's human psychology. People are much more inclined to take that initial action of setting up a username and password (for one more new thing) and logging into our forum if there's a chance they'll win a fairly significant package. That's one of the reasons we chose to host the raffle over here. Hoping to drive more engagement amongst our community members. Not everyone will stick around, but at least they're exposed to some of the great discussions going on over here and might feel inclined to participate longer term.

As for the millennials, when I first got into this industry, that's who I thought our target persona / market would be. I was wrong! Our students and community members seem to skew more toward your vintage.

ALSO, I think some people just don't get your sophisticated humor :) 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:43 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Thanks for posting, @Av8Chuck. Always appreciate your input and spirit for this community.

Yes, we send out a weekly industry newsletter to both our Drone Pilot Ground School students and to anyone who signs up from the UAV Coach website. If you scroll to the bottom of this page — https://uavcoach.com/start/ — you'll see a "Subscribe" button. @Dave Pitman — we do not yet have our forum software connected to our email newsletter, not in the kind of elegant way I'd ultimately want to have. Would love to have you join our newsletter, though!

And @Av8Chuck, yes you've suggested that the topics in the email / our regular blog posts have a corresponding thread in the forum to encourage discussion. Let me chat with our new Marketing Manager, @Isabella | UAV Coach, about this so we can get it going. Appreciate the nudge.

Hi @Av8Chuck

Alan and I were able to chat about creating more connections between our blog posts and forum. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I plan to create a new thread for certain blog posts where members of this community forum can share their thoughts regarding the blog. You can see we've done this for our most recent blog post on this thread

My hope is that this will provide more opportunities for our active community forum members, such as yourself, to have engaging discussion. 

Thanks!
Isabella 

Thanks so much for the post!

New to the forums and this shows me I'm in the right place.. I just made a post regarding my question I have for others on the forums.

I'm doing everything within my power to get this business off the ground, would have thought a business with wings would be easier to do so! lol.. Really reconsidering my target audience, and appreciate all input and connections I can make. Willing to give more information if anyone is curious. 

Thank you all for this beautiful oasis that I've now just discovered ❤️