JBR LIFE Photography

$6M luxury beachfront penthouse

On 8/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, Eric Morgan said:

Nice! You've done a good job showing the view of the place.

Mahalo Eric!  I truly enjoy what I do, and telling the story is a huge part of the fun for me.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:05 AM, Alan Perlman said:

Yo @JBR LIFE Photography, when are you and I going to switch places? I need to "spend a little time on me" — see what I did there? Ha!

But seriously, great video and love the variety of shots, really strong storytelling.

Bro, we definitely must get you here sooner than later!  Maybe we could coordinate some sort UAS specific event, held on Maui??  I mean, they did have the drone racing championship event here if I remember correctly, so maybe we could find a way for UAV coach to be involved in that community somehow...

Just spit-ballin', trying to get connected in the same space & time.  We're also trying to figure out a trip back to east TN to visit family.  I'd love to meet up during that time as well!

As always, thank you for taking the time to watch the vid and comment.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Mahalo Eric!  I truly enjoy what I do, and telling the story is a huge part of the fun for me.

Well have more fun telling story and please share it here ?

17 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Never mind.  I’m really starting to like the A7RIII.  Glad to see it being put to the test.

Mahalo Chuck!  

I'm absolutely LOVING the a7r3.  I shoot stills and video @ ISO 32,000 commonly and am continually shocked at the clarity and low-noise output.  

As for HDR video, I'm finding the most versatility using S-Log 2 profile.  It gives the cleanest dynamic range in low-light/ high contrast scenarios (i.e. dark condos with one open wall of windows where the view matters).  Learning to expose for S-log took some practice, but I think I have it pretty much down right now. Basically, expose a minimum of +2 stops and drop the shadows in post.  This gives low noise HDR low-light video.

S-log 3 is fabulous for high contrast situations with lots of light.  Outdoor midday sun is a perfect example.  The shadow recovery is much less noisy in this environment.  Indoor shooting in S-log 3 is a no-no.  Major noise in the shadow tones.

Shooting in standard video profile, or no profile at all, has given some beautiful footage as well, with surprisingly accurate color tones.

The 5 axis stabilization is remarkable.  I love that it doesn't matter which lens I use now, because of IBIS, with regard to stability.

One major drawback with the camera is there's no way to shoot a reduced size still image, like with Canon.  All of the images produced are 42mp, and sometimes you just need a 10mp output to get the job done.  A great example would be shooting a small 1 or 2 bedroom basic rental condo.  No one needs 42mp images for that.  But the DR is so good, I rarely use the Canon anymore.  Just the other day, I shot a series of brackets because the space I was working wasn't doing well with strobe lighting.  Got home, imported to Lightroom, ended up using only ONE of the bracketed images, which recovered all highlight and shadow tones to show the ocean view out the window.  Unbelievable.

6 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

One major drawback with the camera is there's no way to shoot a reduced size still image, like with Canon.

That’s not correct.  If you use an APS-C lens it shoots a ~24MP image.  There’s also a setting for cropping the sensor.  I don’t have the camera in front of me so I don’t know which menu.  

52 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

That’s not correct.  If you use an APS-C lens it shoots a ~24MP image.  There’s also a setting for cropping the sensor.  I don’t have the camera in front of me so I don’t know which menu.  

True, shooting in crop mode, which I often do, results in a smaller image, but requires swapping glass to retain 35mm focal equivalent. I was referring to Canon's ability to determine image size, despite sensor size or used area.

I have a Canon 5D3 and 5DS and I didn't know you could change image size...  

You can never have enough resolution...

I never use the crop sensor feature for the reason you mention.  I wasn't sure about the A7 when I first got one but now I purchased another to replace the GH4 on the drone.  Once you go 43MP+ you can never go back.

I don't really have to think about using the 5D's and I'm pretty handy with the GH4 but there's still a bit of a learning curve with the A7RIII.  I was thinking about getting a GH5, now I'm not so sure.  

I have a Metabones adapter for my Canon lenses but I'm having a weird problem with auto focus, sometimes it won't focus quickly enough and won't fire when the flight controller triggers it.

53 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

I have a Canon 5D3 and 5DS and I didn't know you could change image size...  

You can never have enough resolution...

I never use the crop sensor feature for the reason you mention.  I wasn't sure about the A7 when I first got one but now I purchased another to replace the GH4 on the drone.  Once you go 43MP+ you can never go back.

I don't really have to think about using the 5D's and I'm pretty handy with the GH4 but there's still a bit of a learning curve with the A7RIII.  I was thinking about getting a GH5, now I'm not so sure.  

I have a Metabones adapter for my Canon lenses but I'm having a weird problem with auto focus, sometimes it won't focus quickly enough and won't fire when the flight controller triggers it.

Yes, Canon cameras allow for changing between full RAW, medium, and small sizes (all in RAW), same with JPEGS.

The crop sensor mode on the a7r3 is great for wildlife.  It's also super handy for video...need a little more reach?  No problem...hit the crop button and continue recording clean 4k.  

I set up my a7r3 to mimic the dial controls of the Canon.  Back dial is aperture, etc.  I'd skip the GH5 if I were you, and grab a spare a7r3 instead.

The Metabones adapter has been a mixed bag for me too.  Mostly it works great...until it doesn't.  There's just never really a replacement for native glass I guess.