Philip Moore

Drone Interactive Panoramas: Where's the interest?

Greetings Pilots,

Something has been on my mind lately and I would love to get some feedback. When people think of drones, the first thing that comes to mind is photo and video. However, I thought the application of the drone panorama was the future. I mean it's a google street view from over 100 ft in the air!

I have incorporated into my drone services along with video and photography. I have pitched the idea mainly to the hospitality/tourism industry, and to the commercial real estate space. Yet to this date I have only sold ONE drone panorama, to an environmentalist (the bulk of my sales/inquiries come from drone video).

I have even found ways to spice up up the panoramas by adding info points: crescentflightops.com. Even drone service provider powerhouse of Dronebase stopped doing pano missions.

My questions for the community are:

Do you see the utility in drone panorama as a  viable business solution? 

Has anyone had success selling drone panoramas in their business?

Why do you think there is a lack of interest in drone panoramas?

Any response or insight is greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, Philip Moore said:

Do you see the utility in drone panorama as a  viable business solution?

Yes

9 hours ago, Philip Moore said:

Why do you think there is a lack of interest in drone panoramas?

The lack of interest actually caused by the price. People expect a lot but pay too little. It's quite a market strategy from the client side also so that pilots would lower their prices. 

On 8/28/2018 at 12:35 AM, Eric Morgan said:

Yes

The lack of interest actually caused by the price. People expect a lot but pay too little. It's quite a market strategy from the client side also so that pilots would lower their prices. 

Same thing here. I asked my customers (mainly realtors) the same question and it is because they don't know what to do with them... Even though I gave a thorough explanation of how they can benefit them. It's too new to them. I believe the more they see aerial Panos the greater the demand.

Remove the word "drone" from your question: "Interactive Panoramas: Where's the interest?"  Is there a market for these types of panoramas?  Unfortunately not.  Realtors seem to put these panoramas in the same category as "virtual tours" which have a very negative connotation with realtors. 

Now if you add the word "Drone" to your question does it overcome the negative response?  Generally no.  Also keep in mind that if your question is about adding this functionality to generate revenue, no one cares!  As a technique panoramas are cool but people don't buy cool, they buy why your selling it? 

@Greg posted a great link to "WHY" people will care about "drone" panoramas.  There is a huge amount of value for those effected by this fire to help determine if their house is still there.  This is a brilliant use of this technology that enabled first responders to better manage the publics expectations and develop a plan for those that needed to return to protect their property.  If your house burned down you didn't need to rush back and first responders could offer introduction to other agencies that could provide immediate short term housing, coordinate with insurance, etc.

I ask this all the time, "what problem are you off to solve?"  A critical part of that question is "Why are you off to solve it?"  To be successful in business you have to have a higher purpose, it can't be just because you want to make money.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:08 PM, Av8Chuck said:

I ask this all the time, "what problem are you off to solve?"  A critical part of that question is "Why are you off to solve it?"  To be successful in business you have to have a higher purpose, it can't be just because you want to make money.

The value proposition for a hospitality property or commercial real estate is that you get to show off the property and its location in one frame. A key function of business is location, location, location. This is double for hospitality where hotels are losing out to short-term rentals and consumers really want to see what's in walking distance or immediately close to the property. 

This all comes down to everyone wanting services/products for little to nothing.  It's a race to the bottom and we are being conditioned for it via the gig economy. ?