Mavic Pro Zoom - Test shot

I took the M2Z out for a spin two days ago to see how it performed with considerable wind.  White caps on the ocean start around 18 knots, which is also about the time the kite surfers come out to play.  Kite surf filming has it's challenges, the primary of which is keeping the UAV far enough way from the kite to be safe, as well as not distract / piss off the kite surfer.  It's a small island, so we all try to play nice with one another :)

Anyhow, this little drone is surprised me pretty good!  The stability in wind is by far improved over my P4 classic, and I never once received a 'poor signal' message.  The zoom camera made it easy to get decent shots without encroaching on the surfer's space.

My only gripe is that this drone is so incredibly difficult to see from far away (far being over 1,000ft).  I'll be excited when someone comes out with a high-vis skin.

So, here's a little one clip teaser, shot in 4k using optical zoom (48mm equivalent), D-cinelike profile, color graded in post.  Once I have a proper ND filter, I'll be excited to see how things improve.  So far, I'm not convinced the video quality is any better than the P4 classic, but having the ability to gain optical zoom is a big deal for my use scenarios.

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
  • Like 1

Some photos...

The first image is a wide shot (24mm equiv).  The second is a full zoom shot (48mm equiv).  The 3rd is a Super Resolution photo, basically doing what I've been doing for a time now, but automated.  You line up the shot you want, the drone automatically zooms in and shoots the scene in 9 photos, then stitches them together into a single 48mp image.  The only drawback is this was shot in JPEG.  I'll take some time today to see if it can be done in RAW format.  Enjoy!

DJI_0067-2-600x400.jpg

DJI_0069-2-600x400.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pictures, JBR also the Mavic's is always nice to work but as you mention is really hard to see once you send far awar. I used the GPS map to follow the trajectory to bring home or to spot the places. Now i have the Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and the small but reliable SPARK. 

DJI tried to crash all dron enthusiast  , with this new 2 Mavic's 

The Mavic Zoom is gonna be my choice in case i decided, as you mentions the zoom is really help for surf or sports activities.

The weakness point that i found on Mavic Pro and SPARK is the Active Track. Is really easy to loose the subject. 

On the Mavic Air the Active Track is more solid, but what i read on Mavic 2 specs the Active Track 2 is 100% better.

Nice VID and photos

Regards

• Like 1
On 9/4/2018 at 3:09 PM, Carlos Arrieta said:

Nice pictures, JBR also the Mavic's is always nice to work but as you mention is really hard to see once you send far awar. I used the GPS map to follow the trajectory to bring home or to spot the places. Now i have the Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and the small but reliable SPARK. 

DJI tried to crash all dron enthusiast  , with this new 2 Mavic's 

The Mavic Zoom is gonna be my choice in case i decided, as you mentions the zoom is really help for surf or sports activities.

The weakness point that i found on Mavic Pro and SPARK is the Active Track. Is really easy to loose the subject. 

On the Mavic Air the Active Track is more solid, but what i read on Mavic 2 specs the Active Track 2 is 100% better.

Nice VID and photos

Regards

Aloha Carlos, 

I haven't yet tried the Active Track function on this drone, but tomorrow will be a perfect opportunity, as I'm filming a custom street car, cruising up Crater Rd, to the 10,038ft summit of Haleakalā, a sleeping volcano on the island.  I'll be sure to post my thoughts & findings on that feature.

In the meantime, here's another shot from the M2 Zoom!

DJI_0123-600x400.jpg