UAVB2BSERV

Lost Drone Now What?

35 minutes ago, UAVB2BSERV said:

Sad story.  Too much wind and way too high.  Drone flew away!  Has this happened to you?  What should one install to track drone?

Sorry to hear you lost your UAV. I lost my ares three times do to motor failure, but I found it each time doing a grid search of about where it might be. took three days each time. On my Blade Chroma I purchased a Marco polo from AcesDeals, $219.00. What type of UAV was it?

• Like 1

I have a telemetry GPS Sensor (Spektrum) that feeds continuous GPS coordinates to my radio (as long as there is a telemetry signal). It also gives me useful information like ground speed and altitude. If the UAV goes down, at least you have a location you maybe able to locate it with. I've also seen bluetooth locators, like a tile, but you have to be within 10 meters to pick up the signal.

Edited by Brian

George it was a beginner drone.  ionic.  Sounds like you have an advanced one.  I see a future here and am going to try again this time try to control it more.  I would love to put $ into a drone that has the capability of resisting wind and being able to completely control it no matter what.  I'll look up what a Blade Chroma is.

Brian, thanks for the reply.  I will need to see what I will do about a tracking device.  At this stage I need to learn how to fly in a controlled way.  After 2 or so hours I loose my drone.  I'll need to pick myself up.

Uaviator53, Thanks for your recommendation.  How did you connect this to your drone?  Are you using a customer platform drone?  If so where should I go to start considering vs. a DJi?

The trackimo tracker is very small and light. just attach to my DJI phantom and Inspire 1 with velcro and a back up safety strap in case velcro fails.Only need one, just switch between aircraft. You can see your device's location on your phone or tablet.

$139.99 -   12 MONTH FREE ACTIVATION  and $60 per year after the first year. I have over $5K invested in my 2 UAVs so it's worth it to me.

trackimo.jpg

trackimo map.PNG

• Like 1

Uaviator53, I appreciate your reply.  I am new to UAVs and you certainly have top shelf aircraft.  I lost a less expensive craft yet for me it was quite hard to bear.  I want to retrieve it.  The video that it must have taken to me is worth more than the camera and drone.  It was unbelievable how high the winds took the craft.

So once my new drone arrives, getting the same one, I will get this device.  I see other uses for it with the family.  Thank you for the pictures and have a pleasant weekend.

This is a painful discussion...sorry to hear about your loss.  Is the lesson here that a GPS tracker should be standard equipment for a professional-level drone?  That's what I'm thinking...  Thanks, Brett

UPDATE:  Drone and go pro was recovered / returned by a concerned citizen to police station.  I was subsequently contacted.  Story has a good ending.

BrettRocketSci - you are correct it makes sense to get the trackimo that Uaviator53 recommended.

• Like 2

Since my P4 has a gps receiver.... and my position is shown on a map, could DJI not create software that creates a track line or breadcrumbs on a map.  Wherever the signal stops moving should be easy to locate.  Or am I missing something in my logic?

Edited by flightlogic
spelling

On 4/6/2016 at 9:02 PM, BrettRocketSci said:

This is a painful discussion...sorry to hear about your loss.  Is the lesson here that a GPS tracker should be standard equipment for a professional-level drone?  That's what I'm thinking...  Thanks, Brett

I spent $4k for my Inspire 1 Pro and $6k for my FireFly6, for that kind of money a tracker should be original equipment, same for strobe lights.

@flightlogic, you are correct in that there is a GPS RECEIVER on board.  However, there is no transmitter to be picked up by anyone. The solution is an autonomus lightweight tracking device that operates on one of the cellular networks.

Edited by Ed O'Grady
additional comment

My P4 has a range for video that far exceeds my line of sight.  If a software option allowed me to have the track and position be recorded on the Google map, at least I would have a closer idea of where the drone went down.  If it flew out of mapping downlink range, then yes, I would have to have a low powered transmitter on the drone.  At the moment I have a TILE attached to the top.... but I realize that will probably not be successful in many cases.  I have a phone number and the words: REWARD for RETURN... on a sticker.... but that is counting on some basic honesty that may be lacking these days.  All thoughts on the topic welcome.