hellojosefa

Airport Website vs Skyvector Data / Part 107 Question

Question, a local airport (Richland Airport) has a page where the addresses commercial UAS operation:

https://portofbenton.com/transportation/airports/uas/#1503460800587-c1011c32-5fbb

Here's what the site says for commercial operation, but makes no mention of Part 107 only refers to COA?  (I have a 107, but still very new)

COMMERCIAL OPERATION

If you are flying your Drone via a temporary FAA-authorized COA, as a Commercial Operation, you must:

• Notify the Port of Benton that you are in the vicinity before operations begin to be advised of any local airport or air traffic procedures we may have in force. We must to issue a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM).
  • Ensure that the aircraft is 3 statute miles away from Richland Airport and 2 miles from Prosser Airport.
  • Not fly an aircraft which weighs more than 55 pounds.
  • Ensure that the aircraft remains lower than 400 feet above ground level at your location and it is Daytime.

The airport should be okay to fly within the 3 mile radius according to the sectional chart - class e airspace, 750and up, correct? Just need some help interpreting what is what. Airmap show's its green to go, but I know that folks say it's not the final call.

782920693_ScreenShot2018-09-13at7_58_02PM.png.08d0d8514ddf6b727c8eafd0178e92e0.png

Here's a link to skyvector: https://skyvector.com/airport/RLD/Richland-Airport

Any help would be appreciated!

9 hours ago, hellojosefa said:

The airport should be okay to fly within the 3 mile radius according to the sectional chart - class e airspace, 750and up, correct? Just need some help interpreting what is what. Airmap show's its green to go, but I know that folks say it's not the final call.

782920693_ScreenShot2018-09-13at7_58_02PM.png.08d0d8514ddf6b727c8eafd0178e92e0.png

So exactly where are you planning on flying? There is roughly a five mile bubble around KPCS which falls under Class D airspace that will require either LAANC approval (if LAANC is active for that airspace) or a COA filed through Drone Zone (https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/home).  Richland (KRLD) is a non-towered airport so under 400 feet AGL you are effectively in Class G airspace in its vicinity. If you are operating close to KRLD's traffic pattern I would suggest contacting the airport manager by phone and work out a plan for you to operate safely with him/her or the Port Authority who manages the airport (Port of Benton - 509-375-3060 or John Haakenson at the same number).

Personally, I would file a NOTAM for every flight to let other pilots operating in the airspace know where and when I was operating and at what altitude. FYI - Tri-Cities (KPCS) is a LAANC served airport).

My final word is don't rely on an app as far as airspace information goes. The app is just a tool and nothing more. The app is just as likely to be wrong as it is right and is not a reliable source of information. That is why in this digital age, we still rely on sectional charts and that is why you were required to learn how to read one. That is THE official source for anything airspace related. 

Edited by R Martin
  • Like 1

Correct, if you're flying at / near Richland airport, you're in Class G airspace and would not need to notify the airport under the Part 107 regulations. It's a nice best practice to do so if you plan to be near any of the runways / airport operations, but it's not required. Perhaps that language on the website you're referencing was drafted a few years ago during the 333 exemption process.

I have part 107 and fly in a county park within 5 miles of Hanover airport in Ashland.  Technically, I could fly without notifying them, but I contacted the airport manager, and he simply said it would be best to notify them whenever I plan to fly in that area.  I've built relationships with the airport personnel, and don't feel any inconvenience to let them know whatever they want to know. 

I notify them the day before I plan to fly--their preference.  Each time they put out a NOTAM specifying my time, radial and distance from Richmond International Airport.  They prefer the radial and distance from KRIC, because it has a VOR and they do not.  You can find the radial and distance with SkyVector.

A typical NOTAM looks like this (the airport prepares and posts it from the info I give them):
!OFP 99/999 OFP AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS .1NM RADIUS OF RIC327014 (4NM SW OFP) SFC-400FT AGL 1807141200-1807141400

Translation:

Notification: Airport, month/NOTAM number for that airport, drone with a radius defined as 0.1 nautical miles  Location from KRIC  Radial: 327 and 14 nautical miles (4 nautical miles from KOFP) and altitude:  Surface up to 400 feet   Date & Time:  2018-07-14 8 am to 2018-07-14 10 am  EDT

Some people question whether it is a good idea for them to issue NOTAMs for every drone flight because of cluttering the NOTAM system, but this airport handles maybe 30 NOTAMs a month, so it's not very busy and they definitely don't mind.

I'd recommend cooperating with the airport and do things the way they ask. 

Edited by NickStan
changed airmap to skyvector