Has anyone on this forum built a 3DR DIY Quadcopter before ? Did you stick to the standard components or did you swap things about ? The assembly from what I have seen looks easy. The electronics again looks easy if standard parts are used. Using non standard parts is not a real headache as long as you can adapt to the changes, again from what I could see. I am toying with an idea, if ever I am in the position to, that has been rumbling in my head. Like most things, with me, flying off at tangents is really common. Anyway question asked and awaiting any nice clean wholesome comments, thanks 

I have built the 3DR DIY Quad kit before. I built the frame and kit from standard components, and used relatively standard non-kit components. Got the parts recommended to go with the kit from a 3DR rep.

The  build itself was relatively painless, but the kit doesn't come with extra nuts or bolts so be very careful when building it. I did run into a few issues during the build and shortly after. First when I attempted to update the firmware on the pixhawk using the setup wizard with Mission Planner it was unable to write the firmware. I had to manually compile the firmware and push it through the port using windows command prompt. The other issue I had was with the washer and nut that attaches the blade to the motor, after a few test flights I noticed one set was missing, and others were loose. I was surprised given the copious amount of thread lock used and have since upgraded to a nylon lock washer. Also I believe the kit claims to require some soldering but everything was previously assembled for mine.

As far as nonstandard components, I soldered a few JST connectors to the PDB so I can attach external parts to run directly off the battery. The kit itself isn't very inviting towards extra components. From there I wired in an UBEC and connected an Xbee for telemetry data and such. That was quite fun since the pixhawk powers 5V from the telem port but 3.3v from the rx/tx. 

All in all it's been a fun, yet tedious process of building. Now I'm struggling with some software issues. Pixhawk doesn't appear to change flight modes unless it's disarmed, including RTL.

• Like 1

I have built a quadcopter using an APM 2.6 for the flight controller. It was not an original 3DR board but a clone that I purchased on Amazon for around $40. Actually the APM board has been retired for use with ArduCopter software as there is insufficient memory to load the later versions. The last version that can fit on the board is 3.2.1 but this has worked fine for me. The Pixhawk is the board you need to load the later versions. You can see my complete build in the DIY section of this forum.

• Like 1

I just recently finished a build, I bought the Quad frame and used all my own components. It was pretty easy, although the only gripe is that I had to get a bit creative with mounting a few things such as the GPS, and still trying to sort out my gimbal mount.

Although that being said, I haven't flown her yet, so not sure if she will get off the ground just yet!

I have 30amp Afro ESCs, 650kv motors, 11 inch props and using a Naza + GPS as the flight controller.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:44 AM, Merkin said:

I just recently finished a build, I bought the Quad frame and used all my own components. It was pretty easy, although the only gripe is that I had to get a bit creative with mounting a few things such as the GPS, and still trying to sort out my gimbal mount.

Although that being said, I haven't flown her yet, so not sure if she will get off the ground just yet!

I have 30amp Afro ESCs, 650kv motors, 11 inch props and using a Naza + GPS as the flight controller.

Let us know how she flies! Pictures / video welcome over here :)

16 minutes ago, Alan Perlman said:

Let us know how she flies! Pictures / video welcome over here :)

Will do for sure!

Living in the Netherlands I'm unfortunately blessed with a lot of rain :)

12748285_1510774512561277_107961037_n.jpg

• Like 1

As a follow up, I had a bit of fun testing and cut a bit of a video. Quite responsive and happy with how she flies.
Still some issues related to jello in the video, but am putting it down to the dampeners being too soft.

• Like 4