Kemper

LAANC return for DAL, HOU, IAD, and others?

A few months ago it was reported by Airmap that Dallas Love Field and Hobby Airport LAANC was turned off due to issues with overlapping grids. Airmap and Skyward also said the following sites would be turned on "after September 2018:"

• Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
  • William P Hobby Airport (HOU)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • LaGuardia Airport (LGA)

We hold waivers for the IAD area that had been renewed several times, but each time with 9/30/18 expiration dates. I'm fearful that the FAA Reauthorization Act may be holding this up (pure speculation - hoping I'm wrong). Has anyone heard updates on these airports? I'm dreaming that when I fire up AirMap on 10/1, all will be well (at least for IAD).

Thanks!

Not much to report, but...

From AirMap:

To provide some insight into what is occurring, LAANC has been enabled for a select number of airport facilities: FAA LAANC Participating Facilities, but have not included the category of airports that are Contact ATC or DoD facilities which would be KIAD (Dulles).

We are currently awaiting additional information from the FAA regarding the inclusion of facilities into the LAANC system. But we encourage you to please stay in close contact with us for more news and updates on this subject.

From UAShelp@faa.gov:

We have not received any new information regarding the current operational status of LAANC at IAD. Please continue to monitor the status of IAD through your service provider.

BK

I'm going to start poking around the Herndon FSDO and see if I can at least get a comment from someone involved in this process.

Edited by Kemper

I'm in the same situation with an Airspace Authorization that was set to expire 9/30/18 for BWI. I just checked the Drone Zone portal and my expiration has been updated to 9/30/19. I did not request a renewal. But, the attached approval letter is still dated to expire in 2018. I've emailed the FAA to request clarification. My guess is they are extending waivers for those impacted by the LAANC delay and have not uploaded the new docs to the portal yet.

Edited by DroneGuy

Thanks for sharing... I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Unfortunately my waiver was submitted in the "old system" (whatever the pre-dronezone website was - I can't even remember it now!)

HOWEVER, we did have another one east of IAD that was going to expire and I see in DroneZone that it too is extended to 9/30/19! Interesting. I'm inquiring on the other.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Kemper

Hello everyone, just started following this thread. 

My experience with LAANC so far has been somewhat puzzling.  While the application form is straight forward, I am trying to submit a new request that is being rejected outright for being within the DC FRZ when in fact it is not.  Another request I submitted for an area southwest of IAD was accepted without issue in early September, but as of this writing is still pending approval.

It is enlightening to learn from this thread that LAANC for IAD may still be on hold, so that may explain my experience.  I have a message out to the UAShelp folks to see if they have any answers.

Will share anything they provide here that may be of help.

Edited by EricJ
typo
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 9:30 AM, EricJ said:

being rejected outright for being within the DC FRZ when in fact it is not

Not sure if this is relevant but there have been a lot of complaint regarding the innacurracy of AirMap as it relates to DJI GEOFencing.  Do you get the same results with LAANC in AirMap as you do in Skyward?  

Hi Av8Chuck;

That is a good question, and I agree that there is likely some room for improvement in terms of accuracy.

I do not use DJI apps to determine FLY/No Fly areas.  First, I check the sectional, then confirm using Airmap, and then again using a spot location taken using the AirMap app.  When I relate the Airmap map to the actual terrain features on the ground, it appears as though I am just outside the FRZ. 

On the actual sectional chart (SkyVector), the recorded lat/long using the AirMap app is within one minute of the coordinates on Skyvector for the same map spot (as as close I I can eyeball it).  

It would probably make sense to record the spot location again using another GPS device.  If the area I am interested in is indeed permissible WRT the the FRZ, it is so only by a few hundred feet.  The ink lines on the sectional are that wide. ?

I have attached a screen shot of the location I am researching FYI. 

Screenshot_20181004-150628_AirMap[1].jpg

On 10/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, Kemper said:

Thanks for sharing... I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Unfortunately my waiver was submitted in the "old system" (whatever the pre-dronezone website was - I can't even remember it now!)

HOWEVER, we did have another one east of IAD that was going to expire and I see in DroneZone that it too is extended to 9/30/19! Interesting. I'm inquiring on the other.

Capture.PNG

If you have a current airspace authorization, thirty days before it is due to expire email 9-AJV-Part107authorizationextensions@faa.gov with the title Part 107 Authorization Extension Request [insert authorization number here ex. 2017-P107-CSA-xxxxx]. Attach a copy of the authorization to the email.

In the body of the email state who the responsible party is (full name)

State the airport identifier (ex. KDxx)

State the length of the extension you are requesting.

You should get a reply back quickly (for me it was less than a week). Do not let any authorization expire. Always renew your COAs unless you are absolutely going to retire them.

We kept renewing, and kept getting a 9/30 expiration date. :/  I'm guessing the group that reviews these assumed everything was going LAANC on 9/30.

17 hours ago, Kemper said:

We kept renewing, and kept getting a 9/30 expiration date. :/ I'm guessing the group that reviews these assumed everything was going LAANC on 9/30.

I'm good on all of my own through September of 19. My last conversation with someone at FAA left me with the impression that they planned to roll out the remainder of the program and incorporate FCTs into LAANC but they are still in early talks and I do not know how confident they are about the date. Until that date, I am good to fly and in August of 19 I will file for renewal of all my COAs as usual.

Update: I was told to pen in the new expiration date.  

Analyst said you can make a pen and ink changes to the authorization for the expiration to read 9/30/19.”

On 10/9/2018 at 8:26 AM, DroneGuy said:

Update: I was told to pen in the new expiration date.  

Analyst said you can make a pen and ink changes to the authorization for the expiration to read 9/30/19.”

The FAA will send you a form that states the new date and the change authorization. If you don't have it in writing from the governing authority, you don't have it period. It's legal CYA.

Example.pdf

Edited by R Martin
Added pen & ink change form letter

On the topic of waivers in the KIAD airspace being extended, I received the following email:

To whom it may concern, 

Good morning. The FAA’s website states that operators wishing to extend their current authorization(s) must do so at least 30 days prior to the date of expiration (click here). This gives the FAA enough time to coordinate and re-process the request (if necessary). Unfortunately, you requested to extend these authorizations after the date of expiration had passed (10/5/2018). Therefore, the request to extend your authorization(s) has been denied. The FAA does not have a process/procedure outlined in any directive which explains or allows expired FAA Form 7711-1s (i.e. airspace authorizations) to be reinstated. You will need to reapply in Drone Zone, or LAANC if the affected facility is LAANC-enabled, to continue to operate. 

Thank you.

NOTE: Only those authorizations originally granted in Drone Zone that had an operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205 and/or were operating at a non-LAANC enabled facility were extended until 9/30/2019. 2017-ESA-803-P107 would not, and does not, qualify for an extension of that type. 

The note is the only interesting part to me. I first regret the renewal not happening on time, but wish the FAA had a method to treat all of it's authorization holders the same