New member from the Gulf Coast of Texas

My name is Shawn Ebey, I am in the investigative stage of joining the Aerial Drone industry. I am a 43 year Army retiree looking for a major career change. Interested in the best way to get started. Like is formal training worth the time, and money, and if so who has the best program and what is a reasonable cost? Secondly, in my area the Petro/Chemical industry  is the largest part of our economy, We also have a small port open to international commerce. I am told that the chemical plants use drones for site/tower/and container inspections, what is the best way to get training or experience is closed space inspections.

All in all, I'm a new person to the industry just looking to get started and make myself the most qualified rookie possible. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Shawn Ebey

Welcome to the UAV Coach community forum. You've come to the right place to learn about drones and to get advice from experienced drone pilots. 

To answer your question, I would say that training is not only worth the time/money, but it is necessary. To operate a drone commercially for work, you are required by the FAA to have a remote pilots license. It's not difficult to get a license, but it does require taking and passing the Aeronautical Knowledge test. We have a complete guide on becoming a commercial drone pilot here. It will walk you through the steps of getting your license. 

Inspections are a growing and thriving field for drone operators.  For advice on entering that specific industry, I suggest checking out some of the threads in our 'Inspections' category. This case study may also be educational on drone services business.  

I hope you find some of these resources helpful. 

Best, 

Isabella 

UAV Coach