Eric Daniel McIntosh

Commercial ships

Anyone fly from commercial ships? I work on one and was looking for advice on using my mavic pro, I've flown a couple of times but had the ships radars off whilst doing so, wondering if having them on will interfere with the Mavic Pro.

X band operates on 8-12Ghz, S band operates on 2-4Ghz. Another guy on the ship said the radar caused his Phantom 1 to drop out the sky, but not sure if it was the radar/operator error or other intereference.

Edited by Eric Daniel McIntosh

Flying from any vessel brings a whole host of issues and considerations that need to be dealt with.  

1: Metal

Your crafts compass is going to be extremely affected by the mass of the ships hull, your going to need to try and take off as high as possible well away from the metal deck, also avoid calibrating the compass while on the ship, any prompt to do so it’s almost cerinsly driven by the ships mag field and as soon as you take off you going to get issues as you excpae from that.  

Be be well aware of what TBE is and be prepared to fly in Atti. 

2: RTH

as a ship is generally moving you need to set RTH to hover or make sure your constantly updateing the current home point by RC location, remember if the boat moves the craft  will not know unless you tell it. 

3: Radio Interfearance. 

Yes the Radar is there but it’s not going to cause the craft to fall out the sky, I would set it to custom channel selection and pick a clean channel on the 2.4ghz band, at worst the ships communications system will cause some disconnection issues and failsafe, this is why it’s masivly important to understand what you have done with the RTH settings.  

Finally above all all else get permission from the ship befor you fly, make them aware and that way you won’t get any unexpected surprises from the staff and they know what’s happing should something go out of plan.  

On 10/9/2018 at 12:55 PM, Eric Daniel McIntosh said:

Anyone fly from commercial ships? I work on one and was looking for advice on using my mavic pro, I've flown a couple of times but had the ships radars off whilst doing so, wondering if having them on will interfere with the Mavic Pro.

X band operates on 8-12Ghz, S band operates on 2-4Ghz. Another guy on the ship said the radar caused his Phantom 1 to drop out the sky, but not sure if it was the radar/operator error or other intereference.

Make sure you have the vessel Master's permission first!  :D

Edited by victorbravo77
punctuation