NunoB

Flying near a VOLCANO in the AZORES

I've been experimenting with improving my storytelling skills and getting better at weaving a story on my videos.

I shot this video during my vacation in the Azores, near the Capelinhos Volcano that erupted from the sea about 60 years ago. 

The video starts with a quick historic overview and then shows you what it looks like today.

Aerials were shot with the DJI Mavic Air.

Edited by NunoB
  • Like 1

Really well done.  Thanks for sharing.

I noticed you didn't include any aerial of downtown and other aerial of the island on the other video.  Is flying there restricted?

My wife mention going to the Azores in January but its the rainy season and apparently it rains a lot.  Have any travel tips or recommendations on where to stay, food etc?

9 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

Really well done.  Thanks for sharing.

I noticed you didn't include any aerial of downtown and other aerial of the island on the other video.  Is flying there restricted?

My wife mention going to the Azores in January but its the rainy season and apparently it rains a lot.  Have any travel tips or recommendations on where to stay, food etc?

Hi, this video was just focused on this landmark in the Island of Faial, which is one of the Azores islands.

I have a few other videos on the backlog with views from the main island (Sao Miguel) and also from tbis one (Faial).

As for flying a drone there, I didn’t have any issues and used mostly common sense. You can check www.voanaboa.pt. This is the national aviation authority website for information on where you can / cannot fly throughout Portugal. Most places you can fly without any formal authorization as long as you are flying within the altitute limits and distance to airports for a given region (the website has a google maps layer that shows those areas). I try to fly where there aren’t a lot of people, where I’m not disturbing anyone and respecting any altitude limits.

If you have a smaller drone like the Mavic I would bring it along on the trip regardless of the time of the year. The weather in the Azores can change significantly throughout the day anytime of the year. You can gave rain in the morning and bright blue skies in the afternoon (or vice-versa) any time of thr year. It’s a temperate climate with mild temperature throughout the year.

Recommendations ... Not sure what island(s) you are going to, but I would recommend visiting the main island (Sao Miguel) and the following spots there:

West Side of island:

- Lagoa das Sete Cidades

- Miradoro da Boca do Inferno (short, easy trail that overlooks the Lagoa das Sete Cidades)

- Lagoa do Canario

North / Middle of Island:

- Tea plantations (try the Gorreana Tea plantation)

- Nordeste (small villages on the northeast)

- Lagoa do Fogo (beautiful lake in the middle of the jsland, suggest descending on one of the trails near one of the parking lots) and go down to the lakeshore, beautiful untouched natured here)

- Ribeira dos Caldeiroes (short trail running through a couple of waterfalls, lush vegetation)

South / Southeast

- Lagoa das Furnas (volcanic site)

- Eat “cozido” at the Furnas Village (this is a traditional dish and here they cook it with the earths heat near the volcanic site

- Parque Terra Nostra (beautiful park, showcasing the Azores biodiversity, you can also swim in natural jacuzzi heat by geothermal fountains and swim in a large heated pool with iron water, also from geothermal activity).

The main city (Ponta Delgada) is nothing special, so if you’re short on time, no need to stop there other than to sleep.

I recommend a minimum of 5 days in the island if you can, so you have pkenty of time to enjoy each site.

I recommend getting a rental car. If you stay near Ponta Delgada (the capital) you can get to the west side in about 30-45 mins, same thing going east or north.

Food is difficult to recommend there are tons of options everywhere so I would redirect you to something like Tripadvisor.

As for Faial (the other island I visited) you have this volcano I filmed, another volcano in the middle of the island (you can walk on a circular trail around the edge of the crater ~2h30 mins walk and then you have the town of Horta, with it’s famous marina where sailors stop on their way to Europe to refill and rest).

Let me know if you’d like more info on the main island and Faial.

Nuno

@NunoB Wow, thanks for the great info.  

I'm Australian so English is my second language, do most people understand and speak English?  

Looks like a great place.  My wife had kind of decided it was the wrong time of year.  Me I don't mind the rain as long as its not all day every day.  I'm more interested in relaxing, photography and maybe a little aerial.  

Thanks

5 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

@NunoB Wow, thanks for the great info.  

I'm Australian so English is my second language, do most people understand and speak English?  

Looks like a great place.  My wife had kind of decided it was the wrong time of year.  Me I don't mind the rain as long as its not all day every day.  I'm more interested in relaxing, photography and maybe a little aerial.  

Thanks

? on the english as a second language !

It shouldn’t be a problem, the Azores are visited by many foreigners so people in restautants,

hotels and landmark sites are used to speaking english.

I’m creating other films of the Azores, I’ll post them here ik the near future so you can see.

In the meantime I shared a few photos on instagram, if you scroll through my feed, you’ll see some of the sights I mentioned. i’m @nb_visual if you search for me there.