agtechlaura

So Many Cool Drone Videos...Getting More Views on YouTube?

Hey all,

I'm amazed at how many great drone videos are out on YouTube now, even within in a sub-category like agriculture/farming.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences on how to make drone videos stand out from the pack and ultimately attract more views? (My latest farming vlog is below for reference of what I am already doing.)

Edited by agtechlaura

If the problem your trying to solve is click bait for YouTube I have some suggestions but let me first start by saying that if people chose to watch based on the quality of content you should be doing very well.  Unfortunately we all know that things that do well on YouTube don’t do so becuase of the quality. 

So if you want to more views I’d suggest making your videos shorter, much shorter, 2-2.5 minutes.  Talk more about the drone and less about the crop.  More about the multispectral that most of the viewers won’t understand but will supply them with endless hours of jargon.  And I realize this is sexist, show more of the attractive young woman driving the tractor. 

Having said that I think your video is very well done.  I think it’s great that you have a narrative, the image quality and shot composition is very good.  I recommend adding more ground shots, closeups of the machinery, driving, grain, etc.. having more shot diversity will help the pacing of the video.   Although the Aerial looks good it all starts to look the same.  The time lapse was a great addition. 

Again you might consider breaking your narrative up into shorter videos.  People seem to have much shorter attention spans.

36 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

If the problem your trying to solve is click bait for YouTube I have some suggestions but let me first start by saying that if people chose to watch based on the quality of content you should be doing very well.  Unfortunately we all know that things that do well on YouTube don’t do so becuase of the quality. 

So if you want to more views I’d suggest making your videos shorter, much shorter, 2-2.5 minutes.  Talk more about the drone and less about the crop.  More about the multispectral that most of the viewers won’t understand but will supply them with endless hours of jargon.  And I realize this is sexist, show more of the attractive young woman driving the tractor. 

Having said that I think your video is very well done.  I think it’s great that you have a narrative, the image quality and shot composition is very good.  I recommend adding more ground shots, closeups of the machinery, driving, grain, etc.. having more shot diversity will help the pacing of the video.   Although the Aerial looks good it all starts to look the same.  The time lapse was a great addition. 

Again you might consider breaking your narrative up into shorter videos.  People seem to have much shorter attention spans.

Thanks for your thoughts. There are several things that I had not thought of before.

I was afraid to go more into multispectral sensors and the research plot project in general for fear people would glaze over or tune out - so good to know that is not necessarily the case.

Would love to add more ground shots but it was a little logistically difficult with everyone already having so many jobs (truck driver = drone operator and tractor driver (me) = research plot coordinator and time lapse video filming). I'd love to add more sounds as well to help people feel they are actually there. Any suggestions on how to get good sound capture from the ground to accompany drone footage??

Hi Laura,

I enjoyed your video!  I think it's all about the story you're trying to tell, with or without narration.  Aerial imagery is just one more tool to help tell the story. 

For example.  On your video here, I would have enjoyed seeing you cut in some of the ndvi imagery samples and even imagery of the bare ground, laying the nitrogen, plants growing and then the clips of you collecting the samples. And finally, what you got out of it; gain or no gain.

While imagery alone is interesting.  The viewer can only watch the equipment go back and forth so much before getting bored, even in great light.  If what you're watching ties into your story, and the story is interesting, I don't think you have to keep it as short as Chuck comments.  If you're just going to show some pretty pictures, then sure, very short.

The first video I saw in this genre was done in 2015 by a farmer on another forum.  It is a little long, but he blends in enough "family farming" story to keep the user interested in watching.  And the amount of this new perspective in ag was much less only 3 years ago too, so the perspectives were fresh and there wasn't as much of a "crowd" of these yet.

I think you are probably a story teller.  Tell great stories and provide interesting backdrops to them and I think you'll stand out.

Edited by Dave Pitman