Material to help educate customers

I apologize, as I am sure this topic has been covered many times before. After my searches in the blog, I haven't really found a good answer. So I am starting this topic in hopes to get some great articles that are very informative but not "hire me because I'm certified" approach.

I currently have a Real Estate Broker that is using a non-licensed pilot for their aerial photography. I just want to begin educating this potential customer of the risks and possible penalties of hiring a non-licensed pilot. I understand the risk and possible penalties...just don't know how to get the word out with being rude or to blunt and forward.

Do you any of you have some articles that you send to your customers? How to you all approach this?

If I was selling real estate or otherwise practicing real estate functions without a license, other realtors would be the first to report me to the local real estate board, right?  It's about ethics and professionalism.  Try that approach with them.  They are violating federal law.  No license usually equals no insurance, but you will never eliminate the ones who will do it regardless of federal law.  Offer to present a summary of drone operations at their next real estate board meeting.

1 hour ago, Cyclops55 said:

If I was selling real estate or otherwise practicing real estate functions without a license, other realtors would be the first to report me to the local real estate board, right? 

That because realtors eat their young.  

This sort of challenge is no different than in any other industry.  There are always people working without the right certifications, insurance, training etc.  The commercial UAV industry is no different.  

Unless it’s your job to enforce compliance, get over it.  Reporting it will only alienate you from potential customers.  If you want to win business compete on quality of service, competency, and make it easy for your customers to do business with you.  

If  brokers in your area choose to use unlicensed operators that’s their choice.  If they are unaware that UAVs are regulated then they’re ignorant which kind of speaks to their competency and if they know and choose to use them anyway then they’re unethical.  Either way do you really want to be doing business with them.  

If you do, it’s easy, drop your price.  

Thank you all for the comments so far.

I kind of want to get back to the original question though...Does anyone have any information they use to help educate their potential clients?

I am not wanting to turn anyone in or get anyone in trouble. I just want some reference material, articles, flyers, etc that I can use to help educate. If it is already out there, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Educate potential clients about what?

Why do you think there’s not a lot of readily accessible “educational” information to inform realtors about the need for a 107 online?

There are two levels of education, affective and cognative, one is what they know the other is what they think. Like I said previously, everyone knows you need to be certified to operate a UAV commercially, the problem is that most realtors don’t care.  

So “educating” realtors is the politically correct way of questioning their ethics and turning the UAV operator in.  Maybe not to the FAA, but to the customer.  Again, either way the realtor will not appreciate it.  

This is an issue that has been debated a lot and there’s no easy right answer.  I think the FAA should be made aware of people operating commercially without a 107, but in doing so you won’t win business.  

Yes we have tons of information we use to educate our customers, it’s called marketing and we don’t make an issue out of being 107 certified other than to say that we are.  Having a 107 should not in any way be a part of your value proposition because anyone over 16 can become certified.  

AV8Chuck, 

I apologize now for this....but none of your comments are of any value. I am not in this for a lecture, I am simply not wanting to re-invent the wheel and to see what others are using (physical documents, articles, marketing, etc) to help educate and promote their business. Not only for real estate but over all in their business.

You sound as if you are very well versed in all aspects of drone business but you are digging to deep into questions when the questions asked are just simple question being asked. Here is a portion of my original post,

"I am starting this topic in hopes to get some great articles that are very informative but not "hire me because I'm certified" approach." 

"I just want to begin educating this potential customer of the risks and possible penalties of hiring a non-licensed pilot."

Several say they educate their customers, so they are obviously sharing some type of information with them.....what does that look like? Is it all verbal or does any have any documents to help support their education? Does anyone care to share what materials, articles, marketing tips that you use to educate and promote your business? I have browsed several drone business websites but am still interested in seeing what you all are doing.

Again, I apologize for the bluntness of this comment but all I am after is examples of what others are doing.

@Acclivity Flight I certainly don't expect an apology for being blunt.

Like I said this has been a topic that has come up several times.  If there was a simple answer or great articles about the questions you asked, don't you think you'd be inundated with replies?  

Your asking for oversimplified information about a complex issue.  Even if you find others in the same circumstances that might have found answers given the information I have provided you might be a bit more skeptical about it.  

The value in my comments doesn't come from answering your request but hopefully from enlightening you in a way that you don't end up losing your Real Estate broker client.   

One thing you might think about creating is a really nicely formatted FAQ page that lives on your website. And it answers questions like, "Why do I need to hire a licensed drone pilot?" and "Does my drone pilot need insurance?" to help better educate your potential leads. You can send this link out as a resource to potential folks you might be working with who still have questions about what drone pilots can do, what the rules are, how much it'll cost, etc. etc.

That could be a good place to start. Here's an article we wrote about website marketing for drone pilots:

https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/drone-website-best-practices/

Hope that helps?

Beyond that, I learned a lot reading books like SPIN Selling and The Ultimate Sales Machine — they helped me better understand how to communicate with and how to approach potential customers. And when it comes to content marketing and inbound strategies, I like to endorse HubSpot's free training courses. Really good training videos over there.

When it comes to winning someone's business, there are so many variables. The competition — in this case, an unlicensed and likely uninsured pilot who puts everyone at risk — is just one consideration. There's also the client's underlying motives for wanting to hire someone and level of education surrounding the issue, the nature of the mission, the margins, the potential for future business through this one anchor mission, etc.

Love that you brought this question to us. It's not an easy one to discuss.

Let us know how it all pans out!

• Thanks 1