I’ve expressed interest in flying my drone in Telluride Colorado, I visited their web page unable to find any information on drone use, so I emailed them. They sent me this: 

https://www.telluride-co.gov/DocumentCenter/View/6033/Drone-Flyer?bidId=

After reading through their City “Ban” the regulations seem back handed. They are obviously discriminating against drone pilots. For example, its clearly stated you cannot operate in the town of Telluride or surrounding areas, nor may you operate over any private property near the town, deemed trespassing. Why then do they continue to “paint” the image that drone pilots are capable of being- violent, abusive, drug abusing, alcoholic, reckless, animal harassing pilots? Why would anyone want to “purposely harm people or animals with drones”? Intent to harm an individual with a weapon would be considered “aggravated assault“, therefore they created a redundant law for drone pilots not to commit a clearly known felony. Why then state the additional rules if they made it clear you cannot fly there anyway?  I feel that the intent of the city drone ban (likely posted throughout their town) could be for the purpose of Banning flights while discriminating against drone pilots. Could this considered a form of discrimination? And How does the town manager determine who’s fit to fly in the town? Are local pilots favored over tourist pilots? Do we not have any rights or say in this matter? Why are they aloud to paint us like the enemy?

Edited by EP Lucas

@EP Lucas  Here is some information you could share with the city regarding local jurisdictions attempting to regulate the NAS. They can regulate where you can "take-off and land".  But they would most likely loose in court if they tried to cite someone for "flying over" .

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/uas_fact_sheet_final.pdf

Hey @EP Lucas — thanks for posting over here. And glad that @Dave Pitman shared that press release. Some great background, directly from the FAA.

Here are some other links that might be helpful:

Mastering (and complying with) the federal regulations is one thing. When it comes to interpreting local regulations and what Dave shared above, you'll have to use good judgment when it comes to asking for permission ahead of time vs. getting bogged down with red tape and folks who don't really understand the regulations.

We've been working with a state park in Maryland to secure a spot to conduct regular DJI training flights. It required a few phone calls, lots of emails, proof of insurance and a $25 fee. Great place to fly and insurance that we won't run into any issues with future flights. Had no problem working with them to get this set up.

Another example — my buddy Christian worked with the FAA for 4 months (and had to buy an insanely large liability insurance policy) to conduct the first commercial drone flight over JFK. Given the nature of the work and risk exposure, it made sense for him not to just work with the FAA, but with JFK personnel and other local organizations.

It often makes sense to ask for permission ahead of time, to head off the authorities and to take control of the situation before it's even a situation. But there are many times where it doesn't make sense. I suppose that depends on the exposure of your flight mission and how comfortable you feel possibly being put into a position where you're having to defend yourself and your rights to a figure of authority.

Hope that helps!

@Alan Perlman @Dave Pitman Great information and ideas! I appreciate your replies too, thank you! I will make an attempt to contact the town manager and get a better feel for the town and their feelings towards drones. I have no interest in upsetting a small town or the people who reside there, I would love to see drone pilots and the community CO existing in a peaceful way. I guess it’s up to us to paint the real picture about who we are and who we aspire to be. Thanks guys! - Funny side note, I was shooting real estate today and a landscaper purposefully drove under my drone and flipped it off and told me to F off... .. the struggle is real ???

Edited by EP Lucas
  • Like 1

The struggle is real. I shoot mostly stills in out local area. The number of folk who deliberately either walk under my flight path or walk over my landing area even when I am attempting to land. Miles, literally, of open space and they choose where I am flying. It really does make you wonder about some folk what they get out of that sort of thing.

Would be interesting to see his response if you went and sat in a chair in the middle of his landscape work. How would he react? 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, EP Lucas said:

Funny side note, I was shooting real estate today and a landscaper purposefully drove under my drone and flipped it off and told me to F off... .. the struggle is real ???

No kidding ! I was at a beach in was class G airspace. I was flying over the water and not even over other people. I have a video of someone out of the blue started throwing sticks at my drone and flipping it off, just like @embayweather experienced. I was still over the water and well away from people. lots of people just don't like drones. oh well, we can only do our best out there.