ULC Proposal to Ban Drones from Flying Below 200 Feet

The Uniform Law Commission (ULC) has proposed a law that draws an arbitrary 200-foot line in the sky under which no drones can operate without permission from private property owners. If implemented in its current form, this law would cut drone operators’ accessible airspace in half in many areas.

In a letter from 19 drone industry leaders, including AUVSI and DJI, the faults of the ULC's proposal are exposed. Learn more about the ULC's proposed law and why it's problematic for drone operators in our recent article: Backlash Against ULC Proposal to Ban Drones from Flying Below 200 Feet.

This Friday, the ULC will convene in Detroit to discuss the proposal, and their decisions could shape the future of the American drone industry. In its current form, the ULC’s proposal is likely to cause significant controversy and could create a complicated patchwork of differing state laws that erode, rather than enhance, aviation safety. Share your thoughts on the ULC’s proposal and how it may impact the drone industry in the comments.

Such a law would destroy all commercial drone operators who operate near residential or commercial properties.  Below is an example of what a typical entry level residential real estate photo job covers.   The job below is less than a mile from the beach, a well known shopping district and a picturesque boulevard, all crucial for presenting the surrounding area and need to be in some of the photos.  This job is inexpensive, takes less than a hour onsite to complete and generates at least 100 photos, where under 10 are fully processed as deliverables to the real estate agent client for use in the MLS.  Most photos would be taken below 200 feet AGL with a few taken at higher altitudes and distances up to and sometimes further than 500 feet away.  This job is profitable, but the margin is low.   The job below would require written permission from at least 100 homeowners, who may not be in town or rent their property.   At a minimum this would explode the cost of a job to levels impossible to sell to clients and more likely would simply be impossible to obtain the required permissions.   Even if you followed all the rules, it is extremely difficult for an experienced profesional pilot to know precise position and altitude of a drone from ground observation, how are homeowners going to know this, plus who is operating that drone?    

dronearea.thumb.jpg.1b775e1c3977e1ed9af51e398049d745.jpg

So who exactly is the ULS and why should I care what they think?

People can propose whatever they like doesn't mean they have the authority to regulate anything.  A lot of people need to justify their existence and that's what this appears to be.

The FAA has a process for developing lawful regulations.  Not to say people won't try to get away with those sort of crap.  Of coarse UAV enthusiasts and commercial operator's don't have an organization willing to hold these sorts of organizations accountable.

So I propose the following:

D R A F T

FOR DISCUSSION ONLY

TORT LAW RELATING TO THE ABOLISHMENT OF THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF COMMISSIONERS ON UNIFORM STATE LAWS

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE VICE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF COMMERCIAL UAV DELEGATION FOR PEACE, LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING

October 27-29, 2018 Drafting Committee Meeting Copyright © 2018 By NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF OVERLORDS ON UNIFORM REGULATION OF PINHEADS.

I can't remember the last time a drone killed anyone can you?

This is all a push by lobbyists to own the sky to line their pockets. Companies such as Amazon and others.

I am a pilot and if an engine is lost we land on the nearest road or in a field. Many times they didn't have that option and wound up crashing into peoples homes.

How is this going to make anything safer. It is all bullshit, greed, and power.

3 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

So who exactly is the ULS and why should I care what they think?

I kind of thought the same thing until I did a little digging.  They are not just a bunch of hacks to be ignored and hope they go away... That's not happening no matter how much we might disagree with their ideal. They have the ear of lawmakers and "we" don't .

38 minutes ago, Jamie Borland said:

I can't remember the last time a drone killed anyone can you?

This is all a push by lobbyists to own the sky to line their pockets. Companies such as Amazon and others.

I am a pilot and if an engine is lost we land on the nearest road or in a field. Many times they didn't have that option and wound up crashing into peoples homes.

How is this going to make anything safer. It is all bullshit, greed, and power.

Actually, spend a little time going through the documents and you'll find that Amazon and other industry powerhouses are opposed just like you are.  Next?

Guys, make no mistake.  I'm not defending their position in any way.  The small stuff that I do would most likely come to an end if something like this was passed nationwide.  But just because we think it's unfair or nonsense isn't enough to slow it down and hopefully kill it.  We can complain to each other til we're blue with no effect.  That's all I'm saying.

10 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

They are not just a bunch of hacks to be ignored and hope they go away...

I agree.  I was just being a smart ass because I think people are tired of hearing me say that we need a trade organization that can defend our interests.

• 3 months later...

More government restrictions that don't really make sense.  I understand we have to respect each other's privacy, no different than you and I not standing over our property fences or walls and snoop at our neighbor.  Just common sense.  No need to have laws for this but just exercise appropriate discretion as you would anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...