Matrice 200 with XT2 workflow request

Matrice 200 and XT2 camera workflow assistance request.  Hi all, I recently purchased the XT2 camera for my Matrice 200, not realizing that the DJI Pilot app is in beta stage only for Android.  Having checked various online sources, including one from Heliguy, I see that I can also use 5he older XT Pro app, available for IOS.  I understand the functionality of the XT Pro is not taking advantage of the XT2 camera, but I think I can wait for the Pilot app from DJI.  DJI will not confirm when it will be out, but it sounds like it is in the works.  Does anyone know?  Also, if anyone can help (I tried to get help from DJI, but they referred me to engineering, who have not yet answered), what is the best workflow (if I am not using 5he Pilot app) for flying and operating the Matrice 200 with the  XT2?  I am resisting having to purchase a Samsung tablet, given that all my equipment is iOS.  Thank you!!

I am biased against DJI, I own just about every drone they’ve sold, Ive always wanted them to just work, but they don’t so I’ve become an outspoken critic of their business practices.  So my advice would be to get something else..

However, that doesn’t help you, so my advice would be to purchase the Samsung.  With DJI you should go with how things are and not wait for how you hope they will be.  If using the Samsung will enable you to do the job you want to do, then go with that and NEVER UPGRADE the firmware. 

DJI talks a lot about future changes and their users continually hold out hope that the “next” upgrade will solve the issue, like IOS support for the PilotApp, it will come and break five other things that make it equally impossible to get a consistent workflow.  

If you haven’t already you might want to check out RCGroups they have DJI threads that go in for thousands of posts, mostly fanboys ranting how great DJI is and DJI reps who pretty much only espouse the company line, but there are a few really knowledgeable people who might be able to help with a workaround for your issue.  

I hear you and know where your coming from.  I really don’t mean to be negative it’s just that DJI is this odd ecosystem where the opportunity costs can be to high while trying to make it work right.  

So I think the issue is choosing where you get bogged down.  There’s a higher probability for success getting the support you might need, as unpleasant is it might be to think about it this way, from the ePC world that’s there is from getting support from DJI.  

A lot of people claim that there’s a lot of “community” support for DJI, but they’re not empowered to do or fix anything, the best they can do is compare notes and help work around the issue.  Since there are so many users doing the support DJI has become one big workaround. How can you leverage that professionally? 

I generally don’t refer people to RCGroups but there’s a lot of “censored” discussion that might help you determine your threshold for pain between DJI or ePC support.

Thanks.  Since I am new to the Matrice 200 and XT2 platform, I need specific ‘cook book menu’ help with planning mission, flying mission, taking RGB photos, taking thermal photos, getting GPS data in a format that I can integrate with ArcGIS.  Hope this is specific enough. thank you for your help!

The basics are I would not expect to see the Pilot App it’s self for IOS. 

The M200 has been mostly aimed to be used with the crystalsky and that’s android based and any future custom devices will still be android based so IOS development on that I just don’t see coming as the hunger is just not there overall. 

CS works extremely well on Pilot and is a good option but if that’s not for you look at a good android tablet, Samsung I’m not too much a fan off because of the bloat they tend to add you can’t remove  and prefer the cleaner nexus models.  

As I said I would not hold out for IOS Pilot tbh but there will be other options around mapping ect from DJI very soon for iOS but I don’t know what the XT2 support is with that as I can’t test that my self, to really get the most form the XT2 your going to want Pilot,  I could be wrong but iv not even seen a whisper of Pilot on iOS specifically anywhere. 

One other note is Pilot should be out of Beta shortly, there are a few things I think they need to put in but doubt it will happen but the fist official release should not be far off now.    

Edited by Mad_Angler1

I would look at the Nexus as that’s as pure as Android gets.  

As as a final note I strongly suggest  you make sure your craft and batteries are 100% updated to the latest firmware on the M200, if your at all not sure connect it to Assistant 2 and refresh the firmware with each set of packs fitted, I’m not saying you should always update however at this stage there has been some things with battery firmware that you need to make sure everything is the same.  

Edited by Mad_Angler1

Actually, you are spot on about the firmware updates!  I recently updated the Matrice firmware.  What surprised me is tha I just bought the Matrice and 6 batteries, yet the firmware was 7 months or so out of date!  I’ll have to figure out how to update the batteries, since I have not done that and one set of batteries is not charging properly.

Ok Pilot for IOS is coming very soon, it’s to be launched alongside the new Mavic 2 Ent model, as I said. I had not heard any noises about it but that does not always mean anything , I would have betted no but it’s clear I’m not a good gambler lol.  

I appoligse for the crap info as I do try to abound that but all the noises I had was no.  

Hopefully it it will be here soon for you, what I can’t confirm is that it will have total compatibly for the XT2 but I don’t expect it not to at this stage, the only reason I say this is it’s been geared towards the new M2E but I would expect and hope it to. 

Again sorry for the miss direction. 

Btw, in case anyone has problems with their T50 or T55 batteries - there are problems with both.  I had to send 4 of my new T50 batteries back to DJI.  They would not charge at all.

Also heard from a vendor that some issues exist with the T55 ones.  

Huh, imagine that I2’s literally crashing as a result of bad batteries.  Actually DJI doesn’t really know the cause, bad batteries, firmware, they have no clue.  But not to worry the iOS will be in the App Store on Friday.  I’m sure when you get your new batteries it’ll fly great. 

https://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-advises-customers-to-fly-with-caution-when-using-tb50-and-tb55-batteries-in-drones?clickaid=bivGpkdUU1TOYN99JmVkX-VGXeEXiQE3&clickpid=939637&clicksid=32622c82a413cbd992cabe9fbcafbe88

I may have to penalize myself for being so sarcastic.  

Sorry about the bad packs, it’s possibly related but at this stage will have to wait for DJI to say more. 

Chuck I know your not a fan but why not let see what actually happens and what the acual cause is before getting the pitch forks ? Perhaps you may be less inclined the throw blame their way when the cause is released You never know. 

Your craft and many from all manufactures has components you use you nether made or made the firmware for so as with all things there are situations that may be out of your hands, they do mention there battery supplier in there statement so let’s see where that goes. 

I do know from the people I have spoken too is that Dji are doing everything they can here and just like many air craft related things it’s complex and not straight forward at all, saying they don’t have a clue is an opinion you can have but i can tell you it’s wrong and no matter what it is failure can happen as we have very sadly seen in the UK this week.    

The very fact there have been next to no reports of I2 falling shows this is complex and difficult as they used the basic same battery firmware on both the TB50 and TB55, there are tons of variables and things that can affect a craft as you well know your self and not all of them in your control. 

No one is saying this is good in any shape or form and I’m directly affected my self via my PFCO but they are doing the right thing here.   

Right now I strongly suggest users of TB50 and TB55

1: You make sure your firmware is all on the same level/version on both batteries and craft.

2: Only fly a freshly fully charged battery with in the day, don’t leave them sitting for days especially in these temps we are seeing now.  

3: If your packs have been sitting for a while then cycle them fully in a safe way before a proper flight. 

4:Watch your voltages in the App and set the lowest cell voltage to show on the home screen, I am always popping in and out of the battery screen in flight to check the cells but having that on the home is always a good little indicator.

4: I’d also set self discharge to 10 days and manage them manually a minute too. 

This is is all I have ever done and not had issues, I’m awaiting clarification from the CAA my self on the Congested Area thing but yes this affects many sadly including my self quite substantially but safety comes first and that’s all that matters. 

Edited by Mad_Angler1
6 hours ago, Mad_Angler1 said:

Chuck I know your not a fan but why not let see what actually happens and what the acual cause is before getting the pitch forks ? Perhaps you may be less inclined the throw blame their way when the cause is released You never know. 

No matter what the cause, it’s DJI’s fault.  They’re the manufacturer, if they can’t manage their supply chain then who can?  The US DoD ban on DJI has more to do with their inability to maintain a “chain of evidence” and effectively manage their supply chain than the cyber securiy issues.  

6 hours ago, Mad_Angler1 said:

I do know from the people I have spoken too is that Dji are doing everything they can here and just like many air craft related things it’s complex and not straight forward at all, saying they don’t have a clue is an opinion you can have but i can tell you it’s wrong and no matter what it is failure can happen as we have very sadly seen in the UK this week. 

It’s one thing to say that their doing everything they can after the issue is reported, it’s another for them to do everything they can before they launch the product, upgrade the firmware or otherwise change from the initial design.  Good engineering isn’t about how many new features can be added, it’s about how well the initial product works and continues to work without having to continually upgrade it to solve the problem of the day.  

If your a hobbyist and you can afford to wait for the next upgrade, or the next model, or you can change your flight plans to work around a particular issue, that’s one thing.  But if your a professional and you need the UAV to work, when you need it to work, that’s a different thing.  

@Mad_Angler1 I appreciate the way you provide feedback here, RCGroups is predominately hobbyists, while UAV Coach’s focus is more commercially oriented. That’s not to say that Hobbyists aren’t welcome, nor am I saying it’s up to me, but what is a professional with an M200 supposed to do when DJI informs it’s users to follow the FAA rules because the aircraft might lose power?  

This has happened again, and again, and again.  It doesn’t matter what the issue, or the promise to resolve it, UAVs are not computers sitting on your desk and they should not be upgraded as if they are.  Unfortunately this can have significant concequences for commercial operators whether they are aware of the risk or not.