I'm not sure which category something like this would best fit, but it occurred to me that election lines would be prime targets for crazy people to do a lot of damage in a hurry.  

I suggested to local law enforcement that drones could be a useful tool for monitoring voting sites.  There would be a boatload of FAA waivers that would be needed in order to cover an election site and election times from early morning to evening hours.  VLOS, altitude, flying at dawn and dusk and evening flights, flying over people, potential conflict with helicopters overhead.  Just about all of the regulations would need to be waived.  Probably way too complicated.

The answer I got back was that local officials have not considered this idea so far.  

But, if it would save lives, wouldn't it be worth it?  Another thought would be to raise the ladders on firefighting ladder equipment to maximum height of about 104 ft.  I've been up on one of those during a citizen's fire academy training night.   Very dramatic what can be seen from that height.  Especially at night.  A drone would be a better idea, in my opinion.

Just a thought.

Stan Nickel

Edited by NickStan

And if I were on the local board of elections, I would be vehemently opposed.  Reason being that while all of us here are comfortable with drone operations, that's not true across the board.  Many folks feel their privacy is being invaded and it might actually dissuade some folks from getting out to vote.  I seriously doubt that FAA would even touch it.

Fair enough.  Maybe in 2028.  Too soon to think this way, I guess. 

Then again, I saw on 60 minutes that there was a first responder equipping his kids with bleed kits.  Tourniquets, bleed control, the whole nine yards.  It may well come to this. 

Everything monitored.  Everyone identified all the time.  They already do it in mall stores.  Nobody quits shopping.

Another thought.  I don't suppose the helicopters overhead are actually looking down.  Are they?  No, not possible.  Then again.  Are they?

Edited by NickStan

The Helicopter issue is a good point and one that I use in drone arguments but folks don't seem quite as concerned about them.  They're big and usually move quickly away but drones, well that's something else now.  Folks don't call the police when a helicopter or Cessna 172 flies over but if a Phantom does, well....

I would hope that things won't continue to the point where we do need to be monitored by drones in everything we do.  Let's hope that instead, things will settle down in this country.  I can't say either that I'd be eager to be watched 24x7 by every means of surveillance.

May everything in America improve and move in a direction that we can enjoy and look forward to.