Sign in to follow this  
Letac

Issues with automated authorizations

Hi everyone,

I run into a problem yesterday with LAANC that's baffled me since (I am certified under Part 107).

For the second day in a row, I am having difficulties obtaining an FAA authorization in a place where I always get approved (47°34'58.7"N 122°22'14.7”W). I have done this many times and it is not a case of a user error. It appears as if some privileges are unavailable to me.  On the last page of the AirMap where I am supposed to submit the request, I get a message saying “Rejected Upon Submission - Do not fly in Class D controlled airspace without ATC authorization”. Being Part 107 certified and having flown here numerous times, like a day before yesterday, this makes no sense. 

Another odd thing; YESTERDAY, under “advisories”, it showed that “automated authorization available at or below 400 ft” for BFI airport (in which airspace this location is). TODAY, it does NOT list BFI as having automated authorization available at all. It just says that it requires FAA authorization.

I also called the ATC yesterday but didn’t hear back from anyone. There are no TFZ’s in the whole state of Washington or other restrictions in the area. As a side-note, I run into the same problem when I try to request an authorization in other controlled airspaces in the area.

Anyone had a similar issue somewhere? Thanks!

Solved! Here is the response from AirMap:

"We went ahead and investigated further into your experience and identified that there is an airspace conflict at Boeing Field:

This was scheduled to be resolved in a LAANC update yesterday, but this overlap may be more persistent than previously noted.  I escalated this technical issue with our developers and I will be happy to keep you up to date once this has been resolved as soon as possible.  I do apologize for the inconvenience.

During this time, if you notice any abnormal issues, please notify us your experiences are critical to ensuring that the AirMap for Drones application is accurate and up to date."

As a side-note, while I was waiting for AirMap's response I  submitted a request through Skyward and got an authorization. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Letac said:

As a side-note, while I was waiting for AirMap's response I  submitted a request through Skyward and got an authorization. 

That's the most important point.  You found a much better LAANC access provider. ?

I'll have to checkout Skyward. I've had success with AirMap, but still find it odd that I get confirmation of my automatic authorization immediately via a text. Makes me feel like the automatic authorizations are just a check-box that you "agree" to fly within the parameters set with your automatic authorization. Limited to no accountability on the ATC to notify planes that you'll be flying nor on you to fly legally under your authorization. 

20 hours ago, Adam G said:

Makes me feel like the automatic authorizations are just a check-box that you "agree" to fly within the parameters set with your automatic authorization.

That’s exactly what it is.  

LAANC is predetermined flight restrictions based on proximity to controlled airspace.  As long as you agree to the restrictions you can fly.  There is no integration with ATC to warn other pilots of your whereabouts.  

They created a box and the process of applying for the LAANC is your acknowledgment that you will remain in the box and their scheduling to make sure no one else is in the same box at the same time.  

Another reason to not use AirMap is that in their on self-interest they have done more to regulate out competition than just about any other company, except one.  

On 11/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, Adam G said:

I'll have to checkout Skyward. I've had success with AirMap, but still find it odd that I get confirmation of my automatic authorization immediately via a text. Makes me feel like the automatic authorizations are just a check-box that you "agree" to fly within the parameters set with your automatic authorization. Limited to no accountability on the ATC to notify planes that you'll be flying nor on you to fly legally under your authorization. 

@Adam G Skyward is no different in that respect. One advantage of AirMap over Skyward is that you can request permission to fly through the app. With Skyward, unless you're an enterprise level user, you have to do it through the browser (they no longer support this feature for free accounts.) I can't imagine doing this through a browser on the phone. But one great advantage of Skyward is that it allows you to request authorization for different sections of the same airspace in a single request (i.e. 100ft, 200ft & 400ft. AirMap gives you only the lowest ceiling height, which forces you to submit multiple requests for the same flight. 

Thanks all for the responses. @Av8Chuck that is what I figured and similar to actually getting one's license, this is just another checkbox for those of us trying to fly legally. Maybe one day your license will be linked to the maps in DJI and thats the only way areas can be unlocked. 

@Letac thanks for the insight on the pros and cons of each one - really appreciate it!

Just a quick comment to thank everyone for this thread. It explained a great deal about actual LAANC submission and details behind it all