Zacc Dukowitz

Special Restrictions: A List of All the Locations Where the FAA Has Established Restrictions on Drone Operations Since Launching the Part 107 Rules

The FAA issued its Small Unmanned Aircraft Rules, or Part 107 rules, back in August of 2016. Since those rules were issued, the FAA has used the authority granted it by Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations to establish further restrictions on where drones can be operated, in cooperation with various federal agencies such as the Department of the Interior (DOI), the Department of Energy (DOE), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), among others.

But when we looked around, we couldn’t find a comprehensive list of all of the announcements the FAA has made, so we wanted to compile them into a single resource to make them a little more approachable.

Today's blog post provides a list of all of the locations where the FAA has established flight restrictions using Title 14, organized by type (Military Bases, Landmarks, etc.), with a link to the original FAA announcement about the new restrictions.

We hope you find this post useful. If you read it please let us know what you think, and whether we missed anything—and Happy Turkey Day to everyone! :)

The vast majority of these (495) are ICBM launch facilities and Missile Alert Facilities in Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming.  These are little postage stamps dotted across the plains in Class G airspace for the most part.   

One thing that makes me glad DJI is switching to a different map data provider for geofencing is their current inability to geofence anything other than a radius from a known point, whereas the National Defense Airspace boundaries are complex geometric shapes.  DJI's programming team generally opted to make circles that overlapped the entire NDA, enveloping all the airspace around the area as well, regardless if it was controlled or not.  

US Air Force Academy, CO:

703564953_ScreenShot2018-11-24at8_46_57AM.thumb.png.f50ff4054044dd51eff374b6504337dd.png

I was gonna load up more examples, but I've exceeded my 1MB limit.  =(

Edited by Talon Six Aerial
Reason for edit: Appeal to the admin for more upload capacity...