NickStan

What Real Estate Buyers Can Find in Drone Videos & Photos

This is a question and not an answer.  Also, it is not a challenge to real estate drone photographers, but rather a possible opportunity to illustrate the ways in which they are useful that most people would miss.

I'm just curious about what added value a home buyer or real estate buyer would get out of drone media taken of their potential property?  What should they be looking for in drone media that they could not see in  any other way?  For example, what does the neighbor's yard look like?  Roofing flaws?  Proximity to railroad tracks and busy roads?  Proximity to industrial parks?  

I would like to see an article outlining the special benefits of drone media to the home or real estate buyer.  These answers could also be useful to news media drone photographers as well.  What could the reader look for in drone photos that they would not think about finding any other way?

One of the best uses of drone photo/video of residential properties for sale is the use of Point-of-Interest  and Reveal videos which highlight the houses AND the surrounding area of land.  There are many more, of course.  Here is an example of what I mean:  

Regards,

Jay Burnham
North Shore Drone Services

• Like 4

Aerial media can do many great things for a property showcase.   Aside from seeing the condition of the rooftop and the surrounding area (which can be both great and not great), an aerial shot can give a perspective otherwise unavailable to the average photographer standing on the ground. 

For example, last night I had a shoot where the bottom of the home is mostly garage, and the second floor is all the goodies.  From the ground, the house looks pretty good, but you still cannot see much detail from the outside looking in, especially at dusk (when we do the dreamy lights on, dark blue night sky combo).  So, the answer was to park the drone about 12ft high to balance the perspective and give a peek into a beautifully lit up home at dusk.

In terms of video, it's also important to use low angle methods with your drone, because you can cover a lot more distance in one take than running through the yard and around the pool with a gimbal cam.  Essentially, you can create CGI style panning & orbiting effects, but with real life video footage.

Solar panels on the roof are another reason for aerial media capture.  Sure, you could climb a ladder or rent a bucket truck, but one is less safe, the other much more costly.  Drones fix that problem in short order.

I've even flown drones up large elaborate stairwells to move the video sequence from one floor to another. (DISCLAIMER: Make sure you have more than enough general liability insurance, in case your drone goes whack and you take out a $100,000 chandelier).

Personally, I don't really consider the drone anything more than another tool in the box to get a job done.  Aerial shots help to create a more robust media package overall, and that's what I market, rather than specifically marketing drone services.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 6:12 AM, Jay Burnham said:

One of the best uses of drone photo/video of residential properties for sale is the use of Point-of-Interest  and Reveal videos which highlight the houses AND the surrounding area of land.  There are many more, of course.  Here is an example of what I mean:  

Regards,

Jay Burnham
North Shore Drone Services

One thing I learned a long time ago, so it’s a bit “old school,” is that you always need to payoff an establishing shot.  If you don’t you just frustrate the audience.  

I’m not sure what this video is selling, I assume it’s the larger home in the middle. If so, I want to see the inside of the home, what amenities does it offer, what views does it have from inside the house?  I’d like to get a sense of what it might be like to live there.  

This video certianly did a great job of establishing its location but it didn’t pay it off.  Realtors will often say that’s ok because they’ll pay it off in person, the video is just to get potential buyers to come to the home.  But, there’s not enough “meat” in the video to get someone to travel to the location and anyone interested from within the area already knows how spectacular the area is.  

There’s no right or wrong answer here, I very much enjoyed the aerial in this video, but I wanted to get more of a sense of the property. 

Chuck,

I fear you missed the point of my post.  You see the video was only one part of the overall marketing piece.  The rest of the marketing included interior and exterior still photos along with full MLS details of the proeprty.  The video was meant simply to augment all the parts that you felt were missing.

Sorry that I did not explain that the video was only a portion.  I was attempting to reply with only point-of-interest and reveal footage to the question originally posed.

Regards,

Jay
https://jayburnham.photodseck.com