Av8Chuck

FAA Ramp Checks

If this article is to be believed, this is  problem.  

https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/ramp-checks/?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=68160594&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-810fazSI4UMhEnCtSvq_GUpyIjbPeLotaQypbUSBtW7eEMB25bY_xDgtNbwJtexwDDI-NWhGhxx4-kRyt43JxQIk4HLw&_hsmi=68160594

I’ve been a pilot for more than 30 Years and have never been,  nor do I know anyone personally that has been ramp checked.  If I were ramp checked as a result of getting a LAANC clearance I would NEVER request a clearance again!  

The FAA puts out crap like “Buzzy the Drone” and then penalizes professionals who apply for their LAANC by tracking them down and ramp checking them!?  

56 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

If I were ramp checked as a result of getting a LAANC clearance I would NEVER request a clearance again!

If true, I agree this is problematic.  If I submit a manned flight plan, it is to enhance safety in the NAS for everyone.  If by submitting a flight plan, that marked me as needing a ramp check, then I would think twice about filing one, even if I was trying to do everything correctly.  If the FAA is using a LAANC request as a means to locate and check uas ops, they are going against what they have done in the past.  Maybe they just don't know how to randomly check on uas ops, but this seems like a lazy and wrong approach to me.

In addition, many of the factors listed in what they are checking may be "best practice", but are not currently included in the regulation and therefore the FAA rep has no basis for "verifying" them.  Imagine being pulled over for a "courtesy stop" by local law enforcement and being asked to show your documentation for your advanced NASCAR approved driving training....huh??

Someone is definitely asleep at the switch here.  What a shame.

Yah, our intent with this wasn't fear-mongering.

It's just that the language is open to interpretation, and we get this question a lot about how to interpret them:

107.7 Inspection, testing, and demonstration of compliance

(a) A remote pilot in command, owner, or person manipulating the flight controls of

a small unmanned aircraft system must, upon request, make available to the Administrator:

(1) The remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating; and

(2) Any other document, record, or report required to be kept under the regulations

of this chapter.

(b) The remote pilot in command, visual observer, owner, operator, or person

manipulating the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system must, upon request,

allow the Administrator to make any test or inspection of the small unmanned aircraft

system, the remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of a small

unmanned aircraft system, and, if applicable, the visual observer to determine compliance

with this part.

So this article was our attempt at addressing the vaguery surrounding "Any other document, record, or report required to be kept under the regulations of this chapter."

I encourage our students, particularly the ones who are new to aviation and looking to professionalize their ops, to use this article as a way to evaluate their own commercial sUAS operation and to see if any of the information could be used to improve internal processes. 

@Alan Perlman Keeping track of the items listed is certainly good practice. My comment is that except for the certificate, proof of currency, uas registration, and any other information specified in a COA is currently NOT listed in the chapter.  It may be someday but not currently. Details do matter.