JBR LIFE Photography

Kahului Airport - LAANC Authorized

Aloha gang!

I'm proud to present a few images from yesterday morning's drone flight.  Through LAANC, I was able to get a special authorization from FAA & the control tower manager to fly this location for a beachfront home (not pictured).  While the mission was a beach home, I couldn't resist grabbing a couple shots of the airport itself.  What I was most impressed with was how smoothly the approval process went.  

From request filed through LAANC (AirMap) to authorization was less than 2 weeks.  I had to submit a custom unlock request to DJI, which was approved within hours, and loaded to the aircraft days before the mission.  A quick call to the tower the morning of the flight, and the manager was already prepared, as he authorized the mission.  We recapped the mission details (altitude, duration, radius of operation), and ended with 'Call me when you're done so I'll know, until then I'll keep the traffic off your spot as best I can.'

This is the second '0 zone' I've been able to get approved for flight.  The first was further away from the airport, but not by much.  Seems like if you have a solid plan and a reasonable tower manager, there's a good chance you'll be approved.

Details about the flight itself:

Mavic 2 Zoom equipped with 3mi vis anti-collision lighting (top white, port, starboard), 300ft operating radius, 75ft AGL max altitude.  Operation time was 8am-9am.

Enjoy & Mahalo for viewing!

DJI_0832-600x400.jpg

DJI_0833-Pano-Edit-600x277.jpg

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
  • Like 2

I’m guessing it’s a reasonably busy airport but a small community of operators who ask for permission to fly.  Once people in the tower get to know you they’re generally nice about giving permission.  

Curious, did the requirement to call the tower come with the waiver?  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 5:11 AM, Av8Chuck said:

I’m guessing it’s a reasonably busy airport but a small community of operators who ask for permission to fly.  Once people in the tower get to know you they’re generally nice about giving permission.  

Curious, did the requirement to call the tower come with the waiver?  

You nailed it.  Reasonably busy, enough that a new large parking structure was erected, with a tram, and there's a plan to extend the runways for international flights, but you know...Maui time, so could be like a decade or more from now.  Small group of operators who actually request airspace, but there are enough sky pirates around sending up drones in this very area with no regard to the airport being right there.  It's nuts.  The tower manager was beside himself delighted that I phoned in so we could actually coordinate.  But there was no requirement to phone in beforehand on the waiver.

Beautiful images - as are all of yours! Thanks for sharing your approval process. I had a recent positive experience myself where a particular location was in Class D airspace with "automatic authorization coming soon" as noted on AirMap. I applied for authorization on DroneZone and rather than waiting 90 days... I received authorization within 48 hours and they even expanded my request parameters a bit. What a great feeling! Anyways, thanks again for sharing your awesome work and experiences!

• Like 1